Default Queen-less Hive?

I installed a package 8 days ago. I used frames from last years hive (died in Apr). I just checked the Hive and I don't see any brood.Is it still
    too soon to tell or did they kill the Queen. All I saw was nectar/honey in most of the frames. Thanks in advanced for any info.

Default Re: Queen-less Hive?

Did you let the bees release her from the cage? If so 8 days may be a liitle soon to see brood. Could be eggs but they are hard to see. This time last week I thought that one of my hives was queenless. Checked again on Friday and found open brood. I would not worry too much and check again in a week.

Thanks, I checked and she was released. I will give it another week and check again.

I have seen package queens take two weeks to start laying sometimes...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If you're still feeding you could be filling up all the places the queen has the chance to lay. But yes, bit early.

Wild Bill............Did you find evidence of a laying queen?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I have seen package queens take two weeks to start laying sometimes...
    . Do you know why that is and have you seen it with purchased queens had a purchased queen take about that long once released but now she is laying up a storm

> Do you know why that is and have you seen it with purchased queens had a purchased queen take about that long once released but now she is laying up a storm

I have experimented some because I assumed it was because they were banked too long. After banking queens for as much as six months and they would still start laying almost immediately, I have to wonder if they were banked too SOON (like right after they mated) or if they were virgins.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I checked again and and found small but dense section of capped brood. It looks like she is indeed laying. Thanks for the responses!!