Default Bees are "scrubbing" entrance

On two of my hives there are a good amount of bees at entrance moving back and forth with their heads down and antenna under them and scrubbing real fast with their front legs on bottom board just outside entrance and right above entrance. What is up with this behavior? Seems like a wast of effort.

Default Re: Bees are "scrubbing" entrance

I have a hive doing the same thing today. I don't have a clue what they're doing. Mind if I wait for an answer with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Harrison View Post
    What is up with this behavior? Seems like a wast of effort.
    The bees don't think it's a waste.

Relax - they will get over it (and some other bees will take their place and do the exact same thing!)

My bees too, rocking forward and backwards scratching the surface with their front legs, heads down.

Washboarding. I don't think anyone really knows why they do it, but they normally do it when the flow is over.
    Bruce

http://iussi.confex.com/iussi/2006/t...gram/P2650.HTM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbwumXVTOz8

I havent seen anyone give a definate answer on what they are doing, I dont think anyone really knows.
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org

Quote Originally Posted by beedeetee View Post
    Washboarding. I don't think anyone really knows why they do it, but they normally do it when the flow is over.
    It is mentioned it the lit. Only speculation as to why. In my experience it appears to happen often in healthy colonies. Perhaps they are marking their turf? Smoothing out the landing pad? It's fun to watch, & nothing to worry about the way I see it.

It appears to mostly involve bees that are ~ 15-25 days old, for what that's worth.
    After 35 years, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

White clover still all over the place and my bees are drawing honey out fast. I've noticed them doing this scrubbing for couple weeks so flow seems to be still on.
    I've noticed you can disturb them while they are scrubbing like by touching them and they didn't get defensive and quickly got back to scrubbing. So I assumed it was young bees.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF