Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Just did 1st split ever! 50/50. Nervous.

Right, that's wrong. The queen will not necessarily move down out of the box you smoke. Maybe if you used a fume board you could get her to go down. But that doesn't always work either.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Or because there is no queen there.

I'm confused. You moved the whole hive or you didn't? Only parts.
    I separated a 6 medium super hive into two 3 medium super hives, but I left the original in the same position because that's where the hive stand is and the ground is so sloping that it's hard to find a level enough spot for the bees as it is. So I took a brood box and 2 other boxes off the original and placed them 6 feet away. So there's a lot of drift back to the original hive, apparently, but it's okay because there should be new brood emerging from the new hive and the nurse bees with it.

OKAY. I didn't quite make it 3 weeks without peeking, but I did make it about 24 hrs.

Today I delved back into the splits to pull out the drone frame I saw yesterday. Actually there were 2, but I could only find one today.

While I was out there with them both opened, since the new split half has only a smidgeon of bees that the original split half has, I took the honey super off the top of the original and replaced it with an empty super, and put that honey super filled with bees on top of the sparse half. Most of them will probably end up drifting back to the original location again, but at least it provides extra stores for the weaker half.

So yeah, I'm probably mixing everyone all up. But I really thought the new location split better get a boost of new bees and honey from the old location split, to try to keep them both pretty stocked until they get a new queen made.

P.S. Well I guess the mother hive didn't like having that super of honey taken and leaving them with an empty super, because now they are all bearded on the front of the hive looking like they're going to swarm. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    Good beekeepers are usually stubborn enough that they become determined not to let a few failures make them into quitters.
    Very well said.

One thing I have found with bee's they are all ways teaching me something .
    I'm In my hives a lot and things pretty much go the right way I am the keeper I am here to help.
    Bet your split go's good as long as you checked for eggs on both sides.
    I"d look in a week you'll see QCs by then.
    Good luck.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    I separated a 6 medium super hive into two 3 medium super hives, but I left the original in the same position because that's where the hive stand is and the ground is so sloping that it's hard to find a level enough spot for the bees as it is. So I took a brood box and 2 other boxes off the original and placed them 6 feet away. So there's a lot of drift back to the original hive, apparently, but it's okay because there should be new brood emerging from the new hive and the nurse bees with it.
    I see. I would not count on emerging brood and nurse bees to maintain warmth in that split you moved away. Keep an eye on it. Give it more bees in a day or two if the hive population goes down significantly.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

P.S. Well I guess the mother hive didn't like having that super of honey taken and leaving them with an empty super, because now they are all bearded on the front of the hive looking like they're going to swarm. Hmm.
    Do you have another place some distance away where you could have taken the part taken off of the hive stand? That would take care of the problem of bees returning to the parent hive.

and put that honey super filled with bees on top of the sparse half.
    What I don't like about doing that is they could be mostly older bees that could kill a queen if you don't know which half the queen is in. If you move both halves and one half collects most of the bees it is more definite that the queen is in that half. It is better I think to supplement a hive with brood and nurse bees but that means by the frame not by the box. If you truly split a 6 medium hive with equal resources in the first place there should not be a problem with that split making it unless the timing was wrong.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    What I don't like about doing that is they could be mostly older bees that could kill a queen if you don't know which half the queen is in.
    Why do you think that the queen would be killed by bees of her own colony?

This argument doesn't seem to be well thought out to me...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...