Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What price to charge for strong beehives I have to sell?

"the more frugal you become" Exactly. My question was posed more as a potential buyer. I'm thinking of taking the opportunity to expand a small (six to eight hive) apiary. There are small scale beekeepers making splits both as swarm control and to generate money to offset costs (the nucs $100-$150.00 depending on number of brood frames, etc.), and commercial beekeepers looking to sell pollination hives at the ends of their contracts (established singles and doubles) due to time, reduce moving labor/costs, whatever. So, to expand a hobbyist apiary somewhat late, such as early summer, and on a budget, I'm wondering two nucs for every full size colony? Or, go with half the number but established hives this late in the year.
    I don't keep bees, I tend bees. Does this make me a beet?
    Sea level, Puget Sound, USDA 7a-7b

Quote Originally Posted by rsjohnson2u View Post
    Hope this doesn't highjack the thread, but splitting them was mentioned....
    So, which is better spent: two "five" frame nucs (3 frames brood, two honey/pollen, and a queen) for $110.00 each, or one (ten frame) double deep for $220.00 ? The double deep may make surplus honey this summer, the nucs very little chance of that, but one gets double the potential colonies.

A double deep, if it is full of bees, is roughly equivalent to 4 nucs in simple bee numbers.

But it is hard to believe that someone who is selling nucs for $110 would be selling a double deep for $220. Seems like the double deep should be going for more . . .
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Bweaver, a commercial apiarist, in Central Texas sells a 10 frame deep for 370 bucks. It comes with 8 frames of bees, a frame feeder, solid board bottom, inner cover and telescoping cover. Were I near you, and your hives are as you describe, I would jump on them for 400 bucks each, and if they are as advertised, I would go a bit higher. The extra hive bodies and having honey in the supers are big pluses to me. Good Luck and go see an allergist before you quit, or do what makes you happy.

It is funny how people say they wouldn't pay 3-4 hundred dollars for a hive, but they turn around and buy the bee keeping kit, 200.00 - 250.00 and then a package of bees, 100.00 -150.00 depending where you are and then have to start on foundation and feed, feed, feed. When all said and done you are easily at 400.00. So for a good strong hive of bees, brood, honey and wooden ware 400.00 isn't terrible. Now you won't get the enjoyment of watching them grow that way. Just my thoughts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2beekeep View Post
    It is funny how people say they wouldn't pay 3-4 hundred dollars for a hive, but they turn around and buy the bee keeping kit, 200.00 - 250.00 and then a package of bees, 100.00 -150.00 depending where you are and then have to start on foundation and feed, feed, feed. When all said and done you are easily at 400.00. So for a good strong hive of bees, brood, honey and wooden ware 400.00 isn't terrible. Now you won't get the enjoyment of watching them grow that way. Just my thoughts though.
    And how many so-so nucs and packages does it take to find or produce that queen that makes the "good strong hive".
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2beekeep View Post
    Now you won't get the enjoyment of watching them grow that way. Just my thoughts though.
    But, I think that is the critical point. Hobbyists get into beekeeping because they want to "grow" the bees themselves. Buying something already grown by someone else doesn't appeal, regardless of whether $400 is a fair price. (not to mention valuing the used woodenware at $200-$250 seems quite high)

Also, I doubt few commercial beeks would pay $400 for a full size hive because it makes better business sense to make increases from their own stock.

There will be some who will pay $400 for a full size hive, but I think they are the exception rather than the rule. I wonder how many of those $370 10-frame deep hives Bweaver sells each year? I bet it is a small fraciton of the packages and nucs they sell.

JMHO
    Last edited by shinbone; 06-10-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Obviously, it's about what the market. (And) there's at least two markets. Commercials looking for a bargain as someone else sells out, and hobbyists looking, probably late, because they missed the spring nuc/package season. My earlier question is based on local Craigslist. They are not the same keeper splitting commercial hives into nucs, but completely separate things. As a buyer, I'd lean toward the full size hives, even at twice the price, depending on population and health of the BEES. The equipment is secondary. We all know what new equipment goes for, especially at retail for one or two hives as opposed to bulk. I'm not paying top dollar for your USED equipment, no matter how new or pretty. But I may pay you for your healthy bees.

I'm in agreement with Luv2BeeKeep. I started some package two years ago from last April. One of the package died out the first winter. The other two packages had poor queens, and the short version is that I have bought the bees and the wood ware for three hives, and three packages of bees and miscellaneous feed and two commercial queens. I probably have somewhere north of a thousand dollars in these hive and have not harvested any honey. In about four weeks, there will be lots of cotton blooms for forage. Some nice productive hives complete with all the trimmings and a productive queen would be a bargain for me at 500 bucks per hive.

Are his hives worth 500 dollars to any of you? I don't have a clue. Everything is worth what the market will bare. I wish I lived within a couple of hundred miles of his apiary.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy shooter View Post
    Some nice productive hives complete with all the trimmings and a productive queen would be a bargain for me at 500 bucks per hive.

Are his hives worth 500 dollars to any of you? I don't have a clue. Everything is worth what the market will bare. I wish I lived within a couple of hundred miles of his apiary.
    Are you serious? You could not generate enough honey in a season to make them worth $500 each. I would sell some at 500.

Noticed the OP started this thread early Sunday and hasn't been back since.
    Jim

Yeah, but WE"RE having fun with it!

Well, after all this, I'm thinking of buying a $200.00 hive off Craigslist IF it's healthy. Could split it my self, raise or even buy local $25.00 queens, or just let it make honey if it will, and still feel good about the money spent.

EastSideBuzz:

I'm as serious as a heart attack. I'm 75 years old and spending my son's inheritance. My wife and I plan to give our honey to our friends and charities. But, if his hives were to bring in a hundred pounds of honey from my neighbor's cotton, I think there would be a profit if one sold for 10 dollars per pound.

I think sterling's idea is best. I realize you don't want to do it with an allergy. Most newbees just want bees and beekeepers know how to grow bees. If I bought your hives I would immediately split to make more bees, and sell 2 off the 4 I made. Its your bees, you need to make the money.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy shooter View Post
    EastSideBuzz:

I'm as serious as a heart attack. I'm 75 years old and spending my son's inheritance. My wife and I plan to give our honey to our friends and charities. But, if his hives were to bring in a hundred pounds of honey from my neighbor's cotton, I think there would be a profit if one sold for 10 dollars per pound.
    I agree with spending the kids inheritance I do it too. By the time I hit 75 if I make it that far I hope to have finished spending there money.

If you want to pay 400 a hive I guess that is what the market will bare. $250 I can see. Good luck to you.

I would say the time of year matters a lot. If you could wait til next April you'd get a premium price.
    Stuart Ratcliff - Beekeeping Journal

The hives are worth what ever you (dulley) can sell them for. Are you a good salesman? You made a post that you "have to sell them". That would be an engineer not a salesman. You made all the equipment yourself. That lowers your cost and in the buyers eyes lowers the price someone will pay. Good luck on your sale. If you sell them all at once as opposed to selling them one at a time that will greatly reduce the price someone will pay.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

$220 around here.

EastSideBuzz:

I have two sons, and fortunately, neither of them needs my inheritance. Not to say, that they won't take it, of course. Back when I was 67 I had cataract surgery and implanted lenses placed in both eyes. Later that year I had one stint placed in my heart. Then I suffered an unusual bacterial infection. Prior to that I had not been is a hospital. I thought the end was near as everything was wearing out. Since then there have been zero problems. So…………

The good thing about living to 75 is that I get to avenge myself on my two sons. When I am on the ranch and don't hear my phone calls for a few hours, they both are calling me and asking, "where have you been." Does that sound familiar? They even have a parental tone of voice. Like they say, "what goes around comes around."

Cost for an unassembled/unpainted hobby hive:

Bottom Board - $16
    Hive stand = $12
    Telescoping top w/inner cover $32
    2 deep boxes (10-frame) - $42
    2 meedium supers - $32
    40 frames - $80
    40 sheets foundation - $48
    Shipping - $20
    Local Nuc - $150

That's about $432 for the equipment that most hobbiests start out with. Obvious a commercial keeper isnt going to pay that price, but a prius driving sandal wearing sububanite will. Now I know some will chime in saying that beekeeping doesnt cost a dime and you can build your own equipment, but most hobbiests dont have a wood working shop.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

i know this will be an unpopular opinion with some, but if some of your hives were from swarms, how about just giving the bees (not the woodenware) to someone that wants to start beekeeping? i've over-committed myself a little bit this year and am trying to scale back hive numbers a bit, so i'm going to give a nuc that i made from an over-wintered swarm to someone in my area. all they have to pay for are the frames. i just don't feel like it's fair to charge someone for something that was free to me. sure i fed them a little to get them going, but this colony built up pretty good for being a july swarm and over-wintered on very little resources. doing the same thing with a removal that i did last weekend. whoever gets them comes with the woodenware, and the bees go right into their boxes. they either pay me for the frames or bring drawn comb to exchange.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast