Default First Queen of the Season

Today I was out in the yard and checked in on a split I made a while back. Been keeping an eye on them to make sure their queen was up to par. This is my first queen of the season that the girls have created for me. She mated up a couple weeks back and has completely gone wild in her NUC. Here's a couple pics of her and her brood pattern so far. Pretty good i must say..

Queen.jpg

Queen2.jpg

Her DOB from egg is April 27 2014.. lol.. First layed eggs on May 23 2014..
    Thomas Bartram - Since 2013, 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

Default Re: First Queen of the Season

nice I made a few spits in early May and one of them had a virgin queen last week, wish I would have gotten a few pics of her..

Nice indeed... Did you look at her left back leg.... Made you look
    "Anytime you see someone more successful than you are, they are doing something you aren't."

Is she a Cordovan or Italian queen?
    Gratefulness is the key to a happy lifeIf we are not grateful then we will not be happy since we always want something +

Although she has got mostly the coloration of a cordovan, she's of straight up Italian stock. It's my understanding that the Cordovan coloration can come out in any breed, but when I think of the cordovan queens I tend to look at CF Koehnen & Sons pic to make sure. lol.. Here's a link to the pic I look at .. http://www.koehnen.com/#!queens/c215j

Great feeling when the queen goes "wild". I put a swarm box up at my brother's property, and got a swarm to come in (about a month ago). Within 10 days that queen had gone "wild", with capped and uncapped brood filling the better part of 2 frames (both sides).

Phil

She looks great!! Heres 3 of my open mated queens from this year. My first try letting them raise their own. 4 out of 5 and havent given up quite yet on the fifth. Feels great to succeed once in a while.
    Copy of DSC04503.jpg
    Copy of DSC04589.jpg
    Copy of DSC04582.jpg

You notice the egg being "laid" in the photo? There is an egg that she just released. Obviously she is a laying machine. Spraying them eggs all over the hive. Who needs a cell to lay an egg in>?

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    Although she has got mostly the coloration of a cordovan, she's of straight up Italian stock. It's my understanding that the Cordovan coloration can come out in any breed, but when I think of the cordovan queens I tend to look at CF Koehnen & Sons pic to make sure. lol.. Here's a link to the pic I look at .. http://www.koehnen.com/#!queens/c215j
    How are the "rooskies" doin? Did you get to capitalize on any of those SC cells?
    After 35 years, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Yep, when i did the splits to start the russians i ended up with a few Emergency cells being made. lol.. Got them in small mating nuc's now just waiting for them to start laying. Years ago i wouldn't have ever though playing with bees would be so fun..

Isn't it nice to be able to enjoy it? I may have to try some of the Russians, just for something new & challenging.
    After 35 years, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

The only thing that is challenging about them is the fact that they like to make queen cups and cells all the time even though they don't need them.. lol.. Otherwise they are mostly the same as italians and you just have to give them more room quicker to keep them busy.. lol