Default Bt for wax moth....expiration date?

I see that Sundance no longer sales Bt for treating comb, I wish him well. I have a question, though, regarding some Bt Agree that I bought from him back in 2011. I pulled it out a few minutes ago thinking I would spray some drawn comb with it and when I opened the ziplock bag a *very* strong smell hit me...reminded me somewhat of a poultry house with high ammonia levels in it. The powder had turned into a solid, but compressible clump. It had been sealed in it's original ziplock and inside of the bubblewrap mailing envelope that it came to me in. It was on the counter where I build my equipment so it wasn't in a damp environment though we do have high humidity in the south. The date on the envelope was in December of 2011, so that makes it 2-1/2 years old. I take it that it has an expiration date to it. Whatever the case, I won't be spraying this on any comb. Just thought I'd give a head'sup in case some one had some on a shelf for a while and was thinking of using it.

Ed

Default Re: Bt for wax moth....expiration date?

Ed, I can't really address the issue of expiration date on the product "Agree", since I only obtained the similar product, "Xentari".

But I do know, that once Xentari is moistened, that it needs to be used within a few hours, for best results/potency. I would possibly discard the affected product - it may have lost potency, or worst, become harmful to the bees. I would obtain some fresh Xentari, and keep it in a sealed container, in the refrigerator or freezer - between uses.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Thumbs Up Re: Bt for wax moth....expiration date?

FWIW, my BT has a bad smell too. Always has. Not clumped though. Still using it. I've stored it in a seal top baggie inside a plastic jar with a tight lid.

JC, that is a good idea, will see if I can find a place like that. thanks.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Howdy Joseph. Yes, supposedly once mixed Bt has a shelf life of a couple of days. I guess this just absorbed some humidity and probably did an anaerobic decomposition in the bag. Seems the freezer or refrigerator might impart a bit of moisture in itself...is that where you store yours? I might try a desiccant inside the container. I'm still debating on whether to try it again. I'm hoping to have several supers of comb this fall to overwinter. Last winter I had a few boxes and used the open air storage tactic and it worked fine. I may try that again. If I ever get to build a honey house I'll have an open shed for storing them.

Ed

Lee, here is how mine was clumped...
    IMG_1273a (Custom).JPG

also bought mine in 2011. mine also clumped but the clumps were smaller. used some this summer on some old brood comb in a swarm trap, and after a couple of months in the trap the comb ended up untouched by moths. fwiw
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I've always kept mine sealed in either ziploc or tupperware container, inside - where it is kept cool and dry, here in the desert under central air conditioning, set at 78F. If I were using evaporative cooling, here, or were living in a more humid climate, I would keep mine, hermetically sealed and in the refrigerator.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Our dry powder is still effective after 4 years.
    Dan

To be honest about it, when I opened it and the smell hit me in the face I was a little concerned about whether it was healthy or not. I think that somewhere down the line I let some moisture get to it, I don't know when but apparently I did. The smell that hit me and the remaining smell I just don't fill comfortable spraying comb with...it definitely doesn't smell as I recall it smelling when I first got it.

I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered some xentari. I figure with the investment I've made in time and money already I don't want the worry of putting something on the comb that could mess things up. There again, I guess I could just store them "open air". Hopefully one day I can build me some outdoor racks for my supers and frames and I won't worry about spraying anymore.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Ed

Fresh BT smells like coffee grounds (at least to me)........mine still does after 3 years.......
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Ed, you are better off controlling the things you can, this is one of them.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Fresh BT smells like coffee grounds (at least to me)........mine still does after 3 years.......
    What hit me when I opened the bag wasn't coffee smell, that's for sure!! As I mentioned earlier...it was more like a chicken house that was needing it's litter changed...ammonia like smell. <yuck> Coffee smell I could handle.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Ed, you are better off controlling the things you can, this is one of them.
    Right now I need something that I can control. I killed a raccoon in the yard yesterday that was acting very strange. When through hell and high water getting it to the health department for "testing". (Next time they won't here from me.) Now I've got an old dog staggering around but I'm pretty sure it's from her bad ears, she's up on her rabies vaccination. Rabid coons I can't keep from being rabid....what I put in the hive I can control.

Ed