Default unexpected success

A swarm that I captured this year that turned very aggressive. I finally had enough of getting tore up every time I popped the lid. After dispatching the queen I had a lot of nurse bees and brood looking for a job, so I hastily through in a graft and gave a quart of sugar water. Of the 15 grafts, 11 took and turned out pretty good. Of course working the cell builder is still a hassle (ouch), but at least they paid something back. Here are a few of the cells, not the best, but will do. I could probably get another round out of this builder without any trouble - of course, other than a few stings....

Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Default Re: unexpected success

They did a great job for you with nice looking cells and cups plum full of royal jelly. Congats!
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Looks great. What were the grafts taken from??

Two different sources: Harbo 2014 VSH breeder and a 2nd gen VSH. The later is the "slow starter" I referenced here and on the VSHbreeder site and are the ones you can see in the green cups above. The Harbo cells came out nice too, but had fewer takes.

I would be absolutely thrilled to get cells like that!
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Very nice looking cells.....One question. Seeing how the end caps look like they are within 3 days of hatch I'm wondering why there is so much RJ in the tops of those cups. ???

When I see full ones like this they get candled very carefully as ours with this much RJ left on top often are suspect at best!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Seeing how the end caps look like they are within 3 days of hatch I'm wondering why there is so much RJ in the tops of those cups. ???
    These are scheduled to emerge on Tuesday afternoon. I appreciate the feedback. I'll try to give follow-up post on what I find.

BTW, I did prime these cells with RJ that came from the CB just prior to placing the cells. As I mentioned this was queenright, but I killed her 4 days prior to the graft. They had many queen cells started. I cut out all cells and took the RJ and primed my cups. I generally don't prime cups, but wanted to try something different this round. We'll see....