Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hello BeeSource,

My name is Marcus and I am an inspiring hobbyist. I am currently on active duty in the USAF in New Mexico at least for the next 38 days that is. I will be retiring July 14th and moving back home to Alabama with my family. I am hoping to get started with my first hive spring of 2015. Up until then I am reading everything I can and hoping to learn everything I possibly can.

Default Re: Hello

Hi Marcus,
    First, thank you for your service. Can be quite hard both on yourself and your family so thank you for everything.
    I too am new and like you.....had a year to get ready. Everything is really "seasonal" in beekeeping and I had to wait till this spring to finally get bees after waiting for almost a year. Find a beekeeping association or club in your area. Not only can you learn at their meetings but a lot of em have an apiary that they let newbies in to get hands on expierence. I still go to ours since my 3 hives doesnt give me too much oppertunity to fool around with em and I can explore with theirs and gain expirence and inspiration!

Thanks for the welcome Santa, really excited to get started but I have to wait. Building a forever home after floating around in government housing for the last twenty years kinda outweighs beekeeping for the time being.

Bama is a great place to raise bees. Study all the new posts every day, then use search to find more stuff you really need more info on. Beesource is the best resource you can have and the more you read, the better your venture into bee keeping will be.
    Good luck,
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 2 nd Year / 4 TF - 10T {OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus S View Post
    Building a forever home
    Well if you have access to some of that scrap and any other wood...in the meanwhile you can be building hives and nucs and be ready for when the time comes. You'll find out that the bees are generally one step ahead of you in THEIR building so you have to have the rescources ready when THEY are ready. They dont wait on you fer sure!

Welcome Marcus! Take advantage of the Wood Hobby Shop while you can. Cut lots of hives. The plans are free.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com