Default Adding Bees From Trapout

I have been performing a trapout on a maple tree over the last five weeks. I have encountered numerous challenges along the way but I do mangage to pull some bees now and then. After catching a new batch of bees I simply open the top on my hive with their old comrades and shake them inside. Should I do something else to add them or am I ok adding them in this manner? I figured the bees would sort it out.

Default Re: Adding Bees From Trapout

Quote Originally Posted by BoonROTO View Post
    I have been performing a trapout on a maple tree over the last five weeks. I have encountered numerous challenges along the way but I do mangage to pull some bees now and then. After catching a new batch of bees I simply open the top on my hive with their old comrades and shake them inside. Should I do something else to add them or am I ok adding them in this manner? I figured the bees would sort it out.
    I'm a bit confused - are you adding bees to the trap out unit, or taking them away? Is the trap unit queenright?

Sorry, gotta go - the MO queens just arrived.
    After 35 years, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

do you see a lot of fighting and dead bees after you do this? I have added trapout bees to small colonies to boost numbers and I lay a few sheets of newspaper between them and crack the lid so the top box can com and go they chew through the paper and slowly combine

This time of year the bees have something to bring to the new hive they are getting dumped into so I doubt you will see much of a problem and may likely see a fair amount of increased honey from the hive that is receiving the bees.
    Good luck. Few things better than free bees. That is what I try to convince myself of when I am working 12 hours to remove bee that I got "for free". Hey, if you leave them they will die in a year or two so it's a good thing you get them and manage them IMO.

Not seeing any fighting, they seem to assimilate just fine. The time of year is something I hadn't considered but will in the future. The newspaper trick is something I may use later in the year.

Free bees, lol. Cutouts are tough but at least it is generally only one day, trapouts are anything but free. These are my most expensive bees in the form of gas money.