Default Hi from South Florida!

Hi everyone! My name is Sara I just got my bees on Sunday, they were a captured swarm that a member from my local association gave to me. So I got a headstart with comb and tons of brood!

Is there anyone near me?

Default Re: Hi from South Florida!

Hi Sarah and welcome! I'm in West Palm Beach. not far but not that close. I belong to Palm Beach Beeks. Our meetings are the first Friday of the month at 6:30 pm. You can check us out at http://www.palmbeachbeekeepers.com/
    Get ready for your amazing and aggravating new hobby! BTW, just so ya know, the bees don't read the books. Message me if you would like.
    South Florida, 9 hives, 2 nuc, no treatments, foundation free, slatted racks, bottom entrances, zone 10b

Quote Originally Posted by CessnaGirl View Post
    Hi Sarah and welcome! I'm in West Palm Beach. not far but not that close. I belong to Palm Beach Beeks. Our meetings are the first Friday of the month at 6:30 pm. You can check us out at http://www.palmbeachbeekeepers.com/
    Get ready for your amazing and aggravating new hobby! BTW, just so ya know, the bees don't read the books. Message me if you would like.
    Haha mine seem to be pretty mellow but my sister discovered that they really don't like black, otherwise I could sit next to the hive and they don't care.

Nice website! it is a little too far for me to come to the meets but thanks for the invite!

Hi Sara,
    A little futher north in Lakeland, FL. yes, my grandaughter can attest to bees not liking fuzzy nor black!! Glad you got ya a hive. Working on 3 here and wanting to split into 5 by fall. I found out recently that even the gentle ones can get "hot n touchy". (they are females after all!) Make sure you have the euipment, Veil, smoker, and a hive tool. Everything else can be improvised. Have fun and welcome to Beesource!!

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Caras View Post
    Hi Sara,
    A little futher north in Lakeland, FL. yes, my grandaughter can attest to bees not liking fuzzy nor black!! Glad you got ya a hive. Working on 3 here and wanting to split into 5 by fall. I found out recently that even the gentle ones can get "hot n touchy". (they are females after all!) Make sure you have the euipment, Veil, smoker, and a hive tool. Everything else can be improvised. Have fun and welcome to Beesource!!
    Thanks for the tip! I have the equipment but I only wear/use it if I am opening the hive or adjusting something.

I'm way up North!
    Welcome

Welcome! I'm in SW Fl, Lehigh Acres to be exact. Always nice to see South Fl beeks here, and another woman is a bonus. I'm starting my 5th year and love it more every year.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

bevy's honeybees, not too far only 2.5 hours
    Last edited by Barry; 06-06-2014 at 05:43 AM. Reason: reply to deleted post

Hello and welcome.

Enjoy your bees!