Default Will caging a cell delay emergence?

First time raising queens and I am using the Jenter System http://www.blueskybeesupply.com/jent...en_system.html. At day 13 I moved cells into my splits and nucs, these have now hatched, between day 16-17. The remaining cells I caged and left in another split. They have not emerged as of yet, day 18. Is the delay normal, did I mess up in caging them to early or make some other error?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Default Re: Will caging a cell delay emergence?

Went you say that you have caged them. Are you speaking of the actual roller cage that goes around them from the Jenter system? If so when you placed them into the split, did you make sure the bees could keep them warm? If so, you may have just had some dud's. Take each one separately and candle them to see if the queen is moving in them.
    Thomas Bartram - Since 2013, 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

Sometimes the bees don't care for the cells enough or there was not enough feed given and the capped cells die. Not necessarily your fault. If they not emerged by tomorrow, you might scrap it and start another round. it sounds like you did pretty well for the first try. Good luck.

Oh, I see, you were worried that the caging of cells caused a prob. I dunno, I never caged them until day 14 from egg lay, and they seem to do well.

I wondered the same thing. Would cell protectors keep the bees from chewing the wax to allow the queen to emerge on the proper day? Sometimes there is quite a thick layer of wax.
    Luke

I have not noticed any emergence delay from doing this.

I regularly place small groups of cells, grown from JZsBZs wide base cell cups, into California mini cages, with the cage openings widened, just a little more. Sometimes I pull a little of the wax from the tip (if the bees haven't already done so), before pushing them into the cages - sometimes I don't, and I haven't seen much of a difference, either way. I do place the caged cells on a modified frame, with a thin strip of wood on one side and a wire on the other, to hold them upright and immediately adjacent to combs of brood and nurse bees.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I normally cage cells right after capping, but they are placed in a bank colony between frames of brood and plenty of bees. When caging cells in cooler weather, I make sure there are lots of bees in the bank. It seems in cool weather, just a little separation of being caged is enough to chill the cells if the bees pull back or cluster during the cool nights.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    Went you say that you have caged them. Are you speaking of the actual roller cage that goes around them from the Jenter system? If so when you placed them into the split, did you make sure the bees could keep them warm? If so, you may have just had some dud's. Take each one separately and candle them to see if the queen is moving in them.
    Yes the roller cage is what I am referring to. I thought there was enough bees to keep the cells warm, it was a pretty packed 8 frame deep. I will check tonight and we will see.

So I checked them tonight, still no emergence. I broke one cell open and there was a live queen in it. I released it into a splint, but I do not hold out much hope for it. I guess I will give them a couple more days and see.
    Last edited by RiodeLobo; 06-02-2014 at 08:31 PM.

At day 20 I opened up the cells, and all the queens were dead. I think that they got chilled because of the cages.