Default two nucs, one doing great, one not so good

I am a newbee and recieved two nucs on Tuesday. We placed them in my hives, 10 frame deeps and he showed me all the frames. Since this is my first time I was seeing stuff that I had only seen in pics. One nuc had 2-3 frames of brood with honey and 2 frames with nectar and polen. The second nuc had less brood and to me looked spotty. It had a couple frames of nectar and 1 frame was drawn with comb only with eggs. On Thursday I went to check on the hives. Hive 1 looked to be doing very well and already drawing out one of the frames. I am using foundationless frames. Hive 2 had not even started to draw out any frames. I did spot the queen in both hives. Also hive 2 has alot fewer bees and there was not much activity outside this hive compared to hive 1. I moved a empty frame and placed it in the middle of the brood nest on hive 2 to see if they would draw it out quicker. On Saturday I went to check and noticed that hive 1 has most of the first frame drawn out and a few spots on the other frames and lots of bees coming and going. Hive two still had very little activity outside the hive. I checked and it still had not drawn out but maybe the size of a quarter. Also the frame that had the eggs when I picked it up had still not been capped. I could see eggs but thought it would have been capped by now. Also only a couple frames of brood and a couple of nectar and pollen. I decided to feed the hive to see if it would stimulate drawing out the frames. I fed both hives 3 quarts of 1:1. I looked for possible robbing but did not look like anything was going on, with my little experience that is. I work at a fire dept so I came to work today and wont get off work until tomorrow so I had my daughter look at the syrup today and she said it was gone in both hives. My other worry is that my familyand I am going out of town tomorrow and wont be back until Friday. Any suggestions on what I might be able to do tomorrow morning before I leave? Feed more? Anything or let them ride it out until Friday. Would hate to lose this hive only having it a week. Thanks, Doug

Default Re: two nucs, one doing great, one not so good

Bees won't build more comb than they can take care of. From egg to capped brood is 10 days. Don't expect two hives to behave the same, be patient they'll get going. Put the feed on them before you leave they'll be fine. Bees work at their own pace not ours. I stress again be patient. You should have a nectar flow in your area so if they don't have syrup they'll find nectar.

The one is slower because they have less bees. It will take them some time to build up enough bees to start expanding faster. As said above, be patient.

Well I got home yesterday and went and checked on my hives. Hive 1 seems to be doing well. Almost three frames drawn out on foundationless and they are starting to draw out the other two. I will probably add a second brood box on Monday. Hive 2 still seems to be was behind. They still have not even drawn out 1 frame yet, and this is the one I placed in the middle of the brood nest. Maybe that is the problem. I took pics but cant seem to figure out how to post them. I am sure it would help to see pics. If someone can help me I will post the pics. Any suggestions on the hive. It has brood, nectar and pollen and I did see the queen. Also I can see eggs. My worry is will she run out of room to lay since they have not drawn out even 1 frame.

That is the advantage of having 2 hives, so you can compare 1 to the other. Might help if you could give the weak hive a frame of Eggs and Brood. Maybe you can get a frame from who ever you got the Nuc's from. When the Brood hatches, that would give the Queen another place to lay.
    My $.02 worth.

A nuc without capped brood is just barely starting. I would not be worried about it's progress since you have had it.
    Capping of worker is 8-10 days.
    Keep a bee calendar handy; http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearing.htm
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Why did you split the brood ? Three frames of eggs and brood means one frame is out there by itself, think warm! put them back together, more brood will live.That might work in a bigger nest but........ What is your night time temps ? JMO,,,,,,,,,Pete

Bee Hive 014.JPGBee Hive 017.jpgBee Hive 022.jpg
    Here are pics from my weaker hive. The first is all they have drawn out in a 2 weeks.
    Bee Hive 029.jpgBee Hive 030.jpgBee Hive 049.jpg
    These are pics from my stronger hive. They have 3 frames drawn out and working on the last two. Just surprised on the difference of the two. Should I still be feeding. I am also going to add another brood box to the strong hive. I am using foundationless and want to also know if I should put one of the frames from the bottom into the top box or just add the box with all new frames. Thanks for all the help, Doug

That is a hatched queen cell in # 3. You are likely in a superceder before the new queen is mating and laying. Time will take care of it.

If you feel a need to do something; Shake off the bees from the partial comb and put in the strong hive, leave for a 4-5 days until that queen lays it up and it gets drawn out. Move back and get the weak working raising brood.

Is it emerged or is it still building...
    Is there a larva and royal jelly in that cell?

The weaker one appears to be having queen problems. The stonger one is now strong enough that I'd look for a frame with some eggs in it and give it to the weaker one. the weaker one needs the bees on the frame to help them take care of the added eggs. Transfer it in a early morning so nurse bees would be on the frame with them. Make double sure to NOT transfer the queen, if you do this. Also, if you do this, since you are robbing from the strong to give to the weak, you may want to hold off adding a second brood box for a few days or week.
    I'm guessing that you are not confident in seeing a queen? If not, then don't transfer a frame, or if you do, shake all the bees off of it first to insure you do not transfer the queen. Good luck.

Just a note you should be careful holding the frame with new comb in a horizontal fashion as seen in the first pic. it can easily break off and ruin your day and the bees, also setting them back even further.

I have been able to spot the queen on my inspections. I assume you mean a frame of uncapped brood, if so it would have to be one of the newly drawn frames right? Should i still be feeding to help them draw out the frames. We have been getting allot of rain so i don't how much they are getting out. Thanks

I do not disagree with Ray, it is a question of how much and when to invest more in the weak. I would hold off until the queen is laying there before committing much more than new eggs from the strong. But Ray is correct that the timing is dependent on the QC, looks cut open to me, if it is being built the hive needs more nurse bees.

Feeding is a 2 sided sword, looks light and they can starve in the summer during rainy spells, but robbing is also a risk. You need to make sure they do not run out. Small amounts at night and a very small opening. A strong hive and a weak one side by side is never good.

Hung up posting.