Default drone die-off puzzling

I'm finding an inordinate number of (mostly) drones on the ground in front of one of my booming hives. I picked up 450 carcasses, a big layer of them, the result of less than a week of deposition, and this morning a couple of hundred are crawling around. It's really about 90% drones and 10% workers. Some appear to hve been pulled from their cells before fully developing, but most are mature. They don't seem to be able to fly, but I'm not noticing either k-wing or deformed wing.

Default Re: drone die-off puzzling

Varroa issues?
    Started with 2nucs then 3 swarms 2 cut outs it's been a busy first year I'm near Red Deer.

Given the fact that it's just "one of your booming hives" I would tend to agree. My guess is an inspection would probably confirm a high mite load. Find an area of drone brood, scratch it open and tap the exposed pupae out on a white lid. If it looks like it's been sprinkled with pepper......there's yer sign.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Given that it is a booming hive, okay to wait till main flow is over to treat? That would mean waiting a month. Fewer boxes to move around and treatment more effective...

First decide if it is, in fact, a varroa problem. As a physician might say, "first do no harm". What you describe is unusual. I'm just making my best guess. If it is a varroa issue, there are some treatment options (though probably not as effective) that would allow you to keep your honey boxes on your hive.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Awaiting diagnosis from Beltsville. Also, my treatment choices are either formic or oxalic, both of which I've used in the past. So, little harm done. I have come to feel that routine, prophylactic treatment with either of these is a good thing, even necessary to keep hive strong. Just didnt do that when i should have this year (sigh).