Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: What's the best way to get bees out of supers for extracting?

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I just like to give you a hard time Brian.
    Go for it. I am used to it. You have found a way that works for you and I am sure it will work for others. I had to ask enough question so I understood what you are doing. I haven't heard of a wind box and I don't think I am alone. DID YOU PATENT IT?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Now Ace, we all know Mr. Lyon got all that money from his wind patent. Where have you been?

Crazy Roland

Roland,

As the one who originally asked about the blower I am sorry I have not even realized your replied until now. Somehow did not get the notification to look and was still waiting. Anyway thanks a lot. I will probably make one of these. Do you place the whole thing in front of the hive so that the chute points toward the entrance? I would have thought that a gas engine running right in their path would drive them nuts.

Get a rhombus bee escape . screw it to the underside of a cover / crown board with an eke underneath and leave it for up to 24 hrs by which time almost all the bees , apart from a few stragglers, will have cleared out. Don't mess about with any fancy bee clearing chemical stuff or shaking bees off frames as that is sure way to get them angry !

Do you place the whole thing in front of the hive so that the chute points toward the entrance?

Our hives are paired on stands. The roof, innercover, and any not full supers are stacked on the roof, at about the 4 O'clock position with the hive in the center of the clock, you facing the side of the hive. The full super is placed on it's narrow side, in the 8 O'clock position. The blower is then brought up to about the 10 O'clock, or 7 O'clock position, the full super placed on it, and bes blown on the ground. Less than a minute is needed, and I have never noticed any issue with the returning field bees.

Crazy Roland

As far as wind force needed. How much is needed? The Rigid product mentioned (electric) makes a 180 mph wind. Would that do it with your box design?

Possobly, but i doubt it would do a good job. It may have hte velocity, but not the volume. The original had 5 H.P. 2 cycle engines. What H.P. is the electric?

Crazy Roland

It has high velocity because the nozzle is small. If he put a nozzle that is long and thin like a shop vac nozzle for a wet floor it may create enough of an air knife that he could slide across the top of the bars doing each space between the bars one at a time. I don't know if this will work because I don't know the static pressure of the blower he is using.
    Brian Cardinal

Jim,
    Is that a 4" or 6" 90 you have on the WB? Do you secure it or just stick it in the opening?
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I just shake the bees off 1 frame at a time. Pulled 8,000 lbs so far this year with this method.

Quote Originally Posted by dfortune View Post
    I just shake the bees off 1 frame at a time. Pulled 8,000 lbs so far this year with this method.
    That's a "whole lotta shakin going on!"
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Jim,
    Is that a 4" or 6" 90 you have on the WB? Do you secure it or just stick it in the opening?
    4". We cut the opening so they friction fit and can be pulled out if needed to stack or haul any distance.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Jim,
    4". We just cut the plywood so they friction fit and can be pulled out if needed to stack or haul. It's pretty amazing how little chemical is needed with these, start with just a little before deciding if you need more. If you hear a roar when you put the box on then you overdosed them and the box should be gapped for a few minutes to allow a top escape so they don't get stunned. As an average our usage is about a gallon of honey robber to pull 50,000 lbs. of honey or around 1,500 mediums and unless you bring your wind boxes and chemical inside you should never smell it in the building. Also if your application methods are neat your hands should never smell at the end of the day. We always fashion a handle on our sprinkle bottle.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I video'ed honey removal today, with both an electric blower and gas. And with both a Dadant stand and a revolving table.

http://youtu.be/72-wgA3BA-Q

http://youtu.be/4C3iJwh3lAI

Very educational videos. The production quality is unbelievable. I would have never guessed that you needed to point the end of the blower hose at the bees in the supers.

You may want to be sure that the person with the video camera (second video) is not intoxicated or under the influence of methamphetamine.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

>I would have never guessed that you needed to point the end of the blower hose at the bees in the supers.

Charlie, it gives me great satisfaction knowing I was able to teach you one of the tricks of the trade.

If you bring me down a few tabs of LSD, a line of meth or a few joints of NorCal Sins, I would be glad to continue your education on the little known secrets of beekeeping I can convey.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I video'ed honey removal today, with both an electric blower and gas.
    I was wondering if you remade the nozzle so it was the full width of the frame would it have enough velocity to push out the bees between frames. Has anyone tried to improve on the nozzle design?
    Brian Cardinal

>I was wondering if you remade the nozzle so it was the full width of the frame would it have enough velocity to push out the bees between frames.

What do you think the videos show? They show two different blowers blowing the bees out of the supers and out from between the frames

Blowing bees does not take an design by an MIT educated engineer. I have been doing it since I was about 20 (1970) and I am no rocket scientist, just ask Charlie B. See his comments in #95 . In fact, I have no more than a high school diploma, a Californian Contractors license, and a California drivers license.

For the gas blower I used to used a crevice nozzle, orifice ID 3/4" X 2". I now use a round nozzle, orifice 15/16" ID. For the Ridgid electric blower vac, I use the leaf blower nozzle that came with it. These are shown in the videos and attached picture. I have also used just the 2 1/2" extension pipe.

Ace wrote:

I was wondering if you remade the nozzle so it was the full width of the frame would it have enough velocity to push out the bees between frames.

I imagine if you widen the nozzle by a factor of 5, you would need 5 times the H.P. to maintain the same velocity. This would dictate a significant increase in overall weight of the blower. Why don't you build one, and see how it sells.

Ours sold well.

Crazy Roland

After all this time and you guys are still trying to get your bees out of your supers? I would have thought y'all were finished extracting by now.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast