Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: What's the best way to get bees out of supers for extracting?

If your drones won't easily fit through the excluder, you don't have a powerful enough blower.

I have tried it all, brushing, blowing, knocking. Nothing beats Bee Quick, a couple of fume boards, and a sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    If your drones won't easily fit through the excluder, you don't have a powerful enough blower.
    Ha! LMAO at that one! What a visual. A bunch of drones getting blasted through an excluder. Only blasted partially though

Huh? Drones thru an excluder? What have I missed in 40+ years of beekeeping?
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

>Huh? Drones thru an excluder? What have I missed in 40+ years of beekeeping?

ODFrank's sense of humor?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have found that taking the full super off and leaving it in the garage with the door open will get it emptyed virtually effortlessly on the beekeepers part.

> Huh? Drones thru an excluder?

I think that was OD tweaking Ace, based on posts #57 and #60.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I have tried it all, brushing, blowing, knocking. Nothing beats Bee Quick, a couple of fume boards, and a sunny day.
    To each his own, I love using a blower. I place the super on a metal chair (that had the back cut out (the frame is still there.)) The chair fronts the hive. A couple of passes with the blower (I've a backpack blower to which I've attached a long 4" vacuum hose with a pointed nozzle) the bees are blown out, the super placed in the truck .......... and away we go!

I will use a fume board on occasion, but not often...

Not about to knock those who are happy with their bee blowers, if it's working for you that's great. We use bee go and wind boxes and for my money they are the greatest invention since the fork lift. 3 men with 10 boxes typically pull 500+ Mediums a day. On a nice day the bees come out faster than you can take boxes off. With proper handling smell is simply not an issue, Nary a whiff in the extracting room.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    We use bee go and wind boxes
    Jim,
    Got a pic of the "wind box?"

"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Do you set the box on the top and blow or put the box on the bottom and vacuum?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Thanks Jim for the pics. I'll have to make one and try it! I'm guessing that the fabric sits down inside the windbox a couple of inches?

Yup, on top. Use a fairly good quality cotton sheet fabric set it mid box, sprinkle your chemical, aim the elbow into the wind as needed and in a couple minutes the bees are gone. If there are lots of bees on the top bars it's best to set the box askew for a minute to keep from stunning them.

Thanks Jim...
    Do you think burlap would work as the fabric? Just stapled to the sides? Also, does the elbow just slide into the hole or is connected (afixed) in some manner?

Larry
    Last edited by snl; 07-25-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Yup, on top. Use a fairly good quality cotton sheet fabric set it mid box, sprinkle your chemical, aim the elbow into the wind as needed and in a couple minutes the bees are gone. If there are lots of bees on the top bars it's best to set the box askew for a minute to keep from stunning them.
    This goes directly on the hive or on individual boxes of honey?
    Brian Cardinal

excluder or extruder? Very funny by the way.

You are making this too hard Brian, just take the lid off and put the box on. The nice thing (at least compared to a blower) is that you arent breaking the boxes apart, and tearing the burr comb apart until the bees have already moved below.
    Larry, I suppose a fairly dense weave burlap would probably work but something more absorbent yet still porous like flannel works far better.

I am not making it hard Jim I am trying to get a clear understanding on what you are doing. so the box goes on the hive. How far do the bees go down one, two or three supers?
    Brian Cardinal

I just like to give you a hard time Brian. . In ideal conditions (sunny, warm day with a nice gentle breeze and capped honey) it will move bees easily and quickly out of 1 deep. We do mostly mediums and usually pull one and put the (wind) box back on. In good conditions you can pull a second one but if you pull it and there are still bees on the bottom bars then they can get mired in the broken burr comb so it's best to give them another minute or so. Usually 3 or 4 wind boxes will keep one man busy taking off honey supers as fast as you care to pull them.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast