Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: What's the best way to get bees out of supers for extracting?

Thanks for sharing the photos and info on the blower Roland. Does yours have the two cycle 5 hp motor or is it a 4 cycle 5 hp motor?
    Mike in iowa
    Bee a blessing to God and others.

Gave it a try and quickly knocked something up.

Pulled a ton of honey that day, brought about 40 bees back home. Supers are cleared well. Not one bee injured as far as I could see. No aggression after it, no robbing if working quick.

The only thing: you need to blow from both sides, because bees cling to the underside. On the chute you can't turn the super on it's side. I did this on the tailgate of the truck or I put it on top of the hive, but it is another step that costs time. Would be better, if you could turn the super while on the chute.

Very nice. I have the same blower and I may think about making a stand like yours. I suppose it is quicker than shaking the bees off and it would be easier physically as well.
    Nice job.

Benton:

All of ours have been 2 cycle. We are looking at converting to propane, no worries about getting the gas smell in the honey.

Crazy Roland

Bee blower all the way. We stack all the honey off the hives and then blow them out when were done pulling. Most the bees go home when the honey flow is on. Really only blowing out the last 20-25% of the bees.

Roland, thank you for posting the article. I needed a visual and will work on this for next years harvest.

Bernhard, Benton, etc. thank you all.

being a one man show this could save me lots of time.

Glad i could be of assistance.

I forgot to mention that this is a reprint from the July 1966 ABJ. I would think that it may be time to re-examine what was done, and what can be improved after 48 years. The use of an Aluminum frame might make it lighter. We have since added a foot "Go" pedal, to replace the lawn mower style throttle on the first ones.

P.S. The power unit pictured is in my living room.

Crazy Roland

I am sure it has been tried but why wouldn't a motor driven shaker box work directly over the hive?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Bee blower all the way. We stack all the honey off the hives and then blow them out when were done pulling. Most the bees go home when the honey flow is on. Really only blowing out the last 20-25% of the bees.
    +1. Tip up the boxes and go for lunch or a nearby yard for an hour and then come back and blow out the stragglers.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by zhiv9 View Post
    Tip up the boxes and go for lunch or a nearby yard for an hour
    I did it my first time and it worked great. The second time they did not come out and the war began. In the confusion I mixed up the boxes and made one hive queenless. Never again.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by zhiv9 View Post
    +1. Tip up the boxes and go for lunch or a nearby yard for an hour and then come back and blow out the stragglers.
    Strike this post from the record. It is a VERY BAD IDEA! In my area right now if I even act sweet my bees will be on me like stink on you know what. Honey supers should be removed or depopulated in a manner that will not allow robbing to start. Once it starts it is nearly impossible to continue pulling supers and the best thing to do is open ALL the hives and even shift boxes so the internals are exposed. Hopefully the bees will return and decide to stay home for a while and defend the fort. Maybe you did your honey removal this way and there was still a flow on in which case you can literally take out every frame and call all the bees very bad names and not get stung. If the flow is slow or, like my area, non existent then this idea will possibly give you a good lunch but will almost definitely make you wish you skipped that meal.
    Lunch is a waste of time anyway but that's just my opinion and it has nothing to do with bees, honey robbing or anything else in this thread come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    Strike this post from the record. It is a VERY BAD IDEA!
    You and Brian seemed to have missed the post I responded to that indicated that a FLOW was on. This makes a all the difference. With a flow on, the bees ignore the supers and the majority of foragers simply vacate and return to the hive. Simply blow out the few bees that are left. Pulling honey in a dearth is a different story. Its a bit more like pull-blow-cover. I still prefer mechanical removal to chemical. Escapes are great, but they require an extra trip to the yard that I generally don't have time for.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Yes I did miss it which is another lesson. Someone that may be new may not go through the entire thread and they see someone write what you wrote and go do as you suggest and are hammered with a rob out. I missed the thread you spoke about and I'm sorry about that but the same applies IMO. I'm not being critical of you. I'm just trying to make sure people know

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lowe View Post
    Shake them off.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idNlC3roDTU
    Don shows you how he does it in the first 2 minutes.
    The frames are not 100% clean of bees and he put the frames in a closed box @ 100 degrees. I don't know if his end game is to kill those few bees or not but I wouldn't take that box in the house. There always seems to be two steps required be it shaking or leaving the boxes upright or bee escapes. You can brush the few remainders or gently blow them off, your choice. I am thinking ... would it be better to combine the two methods? Build a device that shakes the whole box with a gentle breeze from above directly into the hive.
    Brian Cardinal

Hey Ace, why don't you go and build one and we will see if it sells better than our invention.

Crazy Roland

Don't forget to include a 4 gallon bucket in the patent. (Just keep the running gag running. Hope you don't take it too serious.)

Roland, what is your patent number? I want to make sure I don't infringe on anything.

Hey I am just wondering about pouring bees through a QE, do drones fit through it or does it sieve them out too?
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Roland, what is your patent number? I want to make sure I don't infringe on anything.

Hey I am just wondering about pouring bees through a QE, do drones fit through it or does it sieve them out too?
    Serious question???

Ace, My father did not patent it, besides, the article is from 1966, which is more than 7(?) years ago, so any patents would have expired.

Do Drones fit through an excluder???? You should get a Gov't grant to study that one.

Crazy Roland

My guess is they don't so when you pour through a QE you will have a number of drones mixed in with the queen. And I suspect there will be a number of worker bees that won't leave the queen.
    Brian Cardinal

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast