Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Need a simple frame design to convert TBH to horizontal framed hive

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Harley Craig 
#1 ·
I love my Tanzanian Top Bar Hive...except the comb attachments. I faithfully cut the comb from the sides at each inspection, but it just makes the bees angry. I thought a solution might be to convert the top bars to simple frames using 3/8 or 1/2 dowels on the sides. A narrower frame bottom could be attached to the dowels in the same manner to ensure proper spacing is maintained.

I prefer the full-width (1 1/4" and 1 1/2") top bars over standard deep frames because I don't want to cover the bars with a cloth due to the bee space. Anyone have experience with this type of frame? Any better ideas?

#3 ·
If I'm not mistaken the Lang frames have a bee space between them. I enjoy working the TBH because only a small portion of the nest is exposed at a time and the bees seem more relaxed. Plus, you don't need an inner cover. However, it would be nice to just buy the frames instead of making them.

#4 ·
You can make a long hive with multiple inner covers so you only pull off a section at a time. I would go with something like 5 frame nuc sized, but you could make them as small as you would like. Long hive is the way to go if you want frames and top bars.

You could also just put side bars on your top bars, that would solve the problem and they won't attach the bottoms. I've seen a hive with a metal loop that formed the sides and the bottom "bar" and the bees would stop making comb at the wire.

#5 ·
You can make a long hive with multiple inner covers ...You could also just put side bars on your top bars.
Good suggestions...getting close to a solution but I'm still concerned about spacing. The side bars on Langs space the frames at 1 3/8". I've had good success following Michael Bush's advice on using 1 1/4" for brood and 1 1/2" for honey. I think this spacing will be critical in keeping combs straight since the frames will not contain foundation.

#9 ·
I think dowels would be sufficient and easier than the next proposal. You could also cut a slit on the bottom of your topbars with a table saw and glue and nail 1/8 inch thick strips of wood of either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 width to match the topbar width. On my partial frames the side wood is just slightly thicker than the slit cut by a table saw. I would make a slight wedge shape with sandpaper and hammer in the strip with the glue. Here is a picture of my semi-frames. They extend a little shy of halfway to the bottom of my hive.

Bee Beehive Honeybee Insect Wood

I am going to have to move the strips together a little closer to give the girls beespace between the strip and the walls of the hive. I am afraid that I have given unwanted guest a hiding space.

#12 ·
I think dowels would be sufficient and easier than the next proposal. You could also cut a slit on the bottom of your topbars with a table saw and glue and nail 1/8 inch thick strips...
I just came across research from Gilles Denis (France). He uses semi-frames (partial side walls) in his Warre hives.
Beehive Bee Insect Honeybee Honeycomb

Gareth John (UK) adapted this method to dowels, but the bees built comb around the dowels and still attached to the walls.
Product bulrush Thread Plant Soft flag

The semi-frame may alleviate one concern I had that full-length frame walls without a base would warp or otherwise not stay parallel to the hive walls. This approach may be worth trying since it is a simple modification to regular top bars.

#11 ·
I made three sided frames once by cutting sides similar to lang side bars, but you can purchase frame components from places like Walter Kelley and save yourself a lot of time.

What has happened is that you have built yourself a frameless long hive and are now discovering why people use frames and inner covers on langs.

#13 ·
How much attachment do you get, and what are you cutting it with? I have a much different experience with mine. I think that you are going to end up making a simple bee hive, much harder to build and maintain. If you want the frames I would go with the long lang, buy or build frames and be done with it. If you like to tinker though, tinker away.

#14 ·
you wont have any issue with normal lang spacing in the brood nest, a lot of people run normal spaced lang frames in the brood nest. if you want wider spacing in the honey section, just space them further apart. They make spacing tools that make it easy, but I generally just eyeball it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.