Default bees with their head down

Anyone ever seen this? Got this move in hive in a bee yard i have not used in 2 years.had wall to wall brood but when i found it, it had all dead brood and the bees were pulling it out butt first

Default Re: bees with their head down

I don't quite understand the question but it sounds like you are seeing dead bees with they heads in the comb? This is often an indication that the bees starved. If the bees are alive and head in I have heard the foraging bees often sleep in this position.

Hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by kenargo; 05-27-2014 at 11:45 PM.

no this is now not in the spring this is now. this is dead larvae, still white with their butt sticking out but not mature bees

Being larvae I agree it isn't likely starvation but I wouldn't rule out starvation if they where adult bees; even if it isn't spring; I've seen dearths with large hives that wasn't brining in nectar and starved; not common but possible. You didn't mention the condition of the comb; pollen, nectar, etc.

That said; are there any indications of disease that you can tell? Odor? Does the larvae appear normal? Is it possible the larvae was chilled during a cold night?

Any images; that might help to see the condition of the comb and what the larvae looks like?