Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: House trap out update

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    If you have eggs you have uncapped brood. Technically, eggs hatch into larva and larva are capped, incubated, and on day 21 worker bees emerge. But terminology gets thrown around.

What you are looking for is eggs, or larva, to get the smell of new brood. Capped brood will work, (just not as good). Nurse bees will come out to work this capped brood, but, eggs and larva require more attention, and consequently more nurse bees come out. That is what you want.

What you are hoping for is to fool the queen, into thinking there is another queen in this box that layed those eggs. She comes out to investigate and/or fight. She will stay for a while, lay some eggs to establish her dominance over this chamber. Then, she may stay in the trap for a while, or, return to the tree. The nurse bees and houskeepers come out to take care of the brood so it will incubate and emerge. When you insert the brood, cleaners, and fanners come out to clean the trap, and to keep the chamber at the right temperature.

Sealed brood is far better than no brood at all. I would not put frames of honey in the trap. You don't want them to use the trap as a place to store surplus honey.

cchoganjr
    I don't have any frames with no honey. I will pull a frame tomorrow and tray and make sure I have some uncapped brood.

GoHoney... Perhaps I wasn't clear. When I said don't use frames of honey, I did not mean for you to find a brood frame with no honey on it. Brood frames will normally have honey, above and down the sides, of the brood area. When I said don't put frames of honey, I meant, no frames of solid honey.

cchoganjr

Cleo, you are correct. I dug down into the bottom brood boxes. I found one frame with capped and uncapped brood with no honey. When I got to the house trap-out the bees were flying all over the front of the house trying to find a way into the hive. They had been locked out for 24 hours. As soon as I placed the frame of brood in the hive box they all settled down and started going in the box. It was like I put a new queen in. I had to brush them in from the sides to get it closed due to they were all climbing up the side of the box to get in. 10 minutes later they looked like a normal hive. I also got the base mounted on the tree trap-out today. I will be placing a hive box on that one in a couple of days.

Trap-12-1.jpgTrap-11-1.jpg

I have just been feeding the colony on the house trap-out. I opened them Saturday to have a look. I have an 8 frame box on it and all 8 frames are full of bees. I will be taking off 4 frames of bees this week. I have been trying to give them some time to build comb. Most of what I gave them was foundation. Will post pic's on take out.

I took off four full frames of bees today. No queen. I have one coming tomorrow. I left four plus frames in the trap hive.

trap14-1.jpg

The nuc I started from the house bees is doing great. I was at the house yesterday afternoon and seen a big cloud of bees come out. They looked like new bees doing orientation flight. They all flew around back at the original entrance. I thought they found another way out. I added some caulk but I could not see any way they were getting in or out. They all ended up going back into the hive box. I am going to take off 5 more frame this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by GOHoney View Post
    May have bad news on trap-out. The property owner said late yesterday there was a swarm in the timber next to his property about 90 yards away. This afternoon when I looked there was a lot fewer bees coming and going.
    This can actually be a good thing when the queen emerges and goes on her mating flight she leaves through the trap and can't get back in and sets up shop in the trap

It has been a month since I put in the trap cone. The hive I started with the bees I took off this house are doing great. I looked in today and the queen I gave them has two and a half frames of capped brood, eggs and larva. There are still between 5 and 8 pounds of bees in the trap. Their numbers don't seem to be increasing so I am disconnecting the trap from the house tomorrow and attaching a screen cone to the tube. I will leave the hive box there for another week or so and if no more are coming out seal it up and call it done.
    Last edited by GOHoney; 07-05-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

I think this one is ready to wrap up. I disconnected the hive box today and put a trap cone on the entrance. I watched for about 30 minutes and seen nothing coming out of the house. I will leave the box with 5 to 8 pounds of bees for another week and keep an eye on them. I did not look inside so don't know if the queen is in the box. She was not two weeks ago.

Trap End-1.jpg

Great trapout Keep us posted on the yay or nay of the feral queen.
    Started with 2nucs then 3 swarms 2 cut outs it's been a busy first year I'm near Red Deer.

OK, this one is done. I have seen no activity from the house for a week. I looked inside the box today to make sure if the queen was there. No, in my opinion. Keep in mind I think the colony swarmed just before I put my trap on. I did find today a capped queen cell and one capped drone cell. I assume a worker has laid some eggs and they tried to make a queen. They have been queenless for some time now. I am picking them up in the morning early AM, saying it is not raining. Question's, should I destroy this queen cell? I was going to combine these bees with the hive I started from this trap, any dangers with adding a laying worker?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12