Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Sugar Feeding

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  ncbees 
#1 ·
3 hives utilize the syrup the 4th does not touch it. The 3 are much further along. Whats up with the 4th hive?

#3 ·
Have you checked in on #4 and verified that they have a good laying queen? Sometimes that alone will affect how they take syrup. And as stated before it could be that they have enough already. Here's a real good question for you. When you feed, is this the last one you give syrup to? If so it may simply be that the syrup has a larger amount of crystalized sugar in it and they don't need as much to do the same amount of work.. I ran into that problem on one of my hives long ago. Now i mix it up constantly as i give it to them and the last hive is never the same. lol

#4 ·
The Queen is laying really good patterns, but there is virtually no honey stores. Lots of pollen. Maybe they are getting robbed. I watch them and don't see that happening though. I am going to refresh tonight syrup. I'll spray a little on the top bars to see if I can entice them to the feeder.

#7 ·
What type of feeders are you using? Hive top, boardman, division board? If they have a good brood pattern, etc with no honey stores they should be taking the syrup like crazy. If it's a boardman - make sure you have at least two holes in the lid, if it's a hive top, make sure you find bees in it or that they can even get to it, and if it's a division board make sure the entrances aren't gooped up with wax, etc. Something tells me these girls just can't get the syrup for some reason.

#11 ·
The syrup you have been using is it freshly made each time? Is all hives in the sun all day? If both answers are yes, try a switch out with one of your other hive's feeders and see what happens. See if the problem follows the feeder. Make sure you wash it good prior to trying again. Rinse it extremely well too. That alone may fix your issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.