Thread: Sugar Feeding

Hybrid View

Default Sugar Feeding

3 hives utilize the syrup the 4th does not touch it. The 3 are much further along. Whats up with the 4th hive?

Default Re: Sugar Feeding

Feeding nearly always brings more questions than solutions. The forth hive may not need feeding because they have ample stores or they are finding enough nectar and/or pollen to meet their needs. If they are not taking syrup, that is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ncbees View Post
    3 hives utilize the syrup the 4th does not touch it. The 3 are much further along. Whats up with the 4th hive?
    Have you checked in on #4 and verified that they have a good laying queen? Sometimes that alone will affect how they take syrup. And as stated before it could be that they have enough already. Here's a real good question for you. When you feed, is this the last one you give syrup to? If so it may simply be that the syrup has a larger amount of crystalized sugar in it and they don't need as much to do the same amount of work.. I ran into that problem on one of my hives long ago. Now i mix it up constantly as i give it to them and the last hive is never the same. lol
    Thomas Bartram - Since 2013, 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

The Queen is laying really good patterns, but there is virtually no honey stores. Lots of pollen. Maybe they are getting robbed. I watch them and don't see that happening though. I am going to refresh tonight syrup. I'll spray a little on the top bars to see if I can entice them to the feeder.

As is often asked around here "Have you lifted the back of the hive to judge it's relative weight?".

No. I'll do that tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ncbees View Post
    No. I'll do that tonight.
    What type of feeders are you using? Hive top, boardman, division board? If they have a good brood pattern, etc with no honey stores they should be taking the syrup like crazy. If it's a boardman - make sure you have at least two holes in the lid, if it's a hive top, make sure you find bees in it or that they can even get to it, and if it's a division board make sure the entrances aren't gooped up with wax, etc. Something tells me these girls just can't get the syrup for some reason.
    Thomas Bartram - Since 2013, 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    What type of feeders are you using? Hive top, boardman, division board? If they have a good brood pattern, etc with no honey stores they should be taking the syrup like crazy. If it's a boardman - make sure you have at least two holes in the lid, if it's a hive top, make sure you find bees in it or that they can even get to it, and if it's a division board make sure the entrances aren't gooped up with wax, etc. Something tells me these girls just can't get the syrup for some reason.
    Top Feeders. I am going to switch feeders around and see what happens.