Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interesting DC editorial countering the pesticide CCD hysteria the media loves

delete
    Last edited by winevines; 05-27-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: regret
    karla

Default Re: Interesting DC editorial countering the pesticide CCD hysteria the media loves

Adult bees hatch in less than two weeks.
    Well, so much for a well researched article.

It is true the issue has been hyped, but the article's clear implication that there has never been any problem is patentlly false.

Default Re: Interesting DC editorial countering the pesticide CCD hysteria the media loves

Well, it is The Washington Times after all. What do you expect?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Some errors in the article but I agree with it's basic premise. Here's the link since the op withdrew it.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ee-busybodies/

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    delete
    What kind of regret karla? The Washington Times has a certain bent, surprise, surprise, and reporters get facts mixed up all of the time. Mistakes happen. The article does bring public attention on the plight of bees and beekeepers. That's a good thing. Even poorly reported publicity is publicity and publicity is a good thing. So, why regret?

Guys It does not look like the Washington Times Is the only thing with a certain bent surprise surprise sqkcrk.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What kind of regret karla? The Washington Times has a certain bent, surprise, surprise, and reporters get facts mixed up all of the time. Mistakes happen. The article does bring public attention on the plight of bees and beekeepers. That's a good thing. Even poorly reported publicity is publicity and publicity is a good thing. So, why regret?
    I read it quickly and liked the focus that pesticides aint it...
    but then i realized it did not even mention mites or viruses, etc. and said we were all just fine with up to 20% loss. Even though I am in the mid Atlantic, I don't know this paper or it's political bent.
    karla

The mass media is corrupt period.
    Reports by the government that bees are not endanger, one graft I saw a while back show no increase in the number of bees in the past 20 years. Maybe a slight increase.
    Personally I think 20% decline is way off the mark.
    My own loss was 100%

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Guys It does not look like the Washington Times Is the only thing with a certain bent surprise surprise sqkcrk.
    Johno
    lol johno. I don't hide my leanings. I grew up outside of Washington when the two newspapers were The Post and The Star. Mom and Dad subscribed to The Star and I delivered it in our neighborhood for two or three years. But it went belly up. After a while my parents subscribed to the more Conservative Post. Now The Washington Times is the more Conservative paper in town. Times change.

Quote Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
    The mass media is corrupt period.
    Reports by the government that bees are not endanger, one graft I saw a while back show no increase in the number of bees in the past 20 years. Maybe a slight increase.
    Personally I think 20% decline is way off the mark.
    My own loss was 100%
    You do realize that your own loss is anecdotal, not representative, don't you?

I was surprised to hear that what has been found by Bee Informed is that this past Winter's losses are lower than previous years losses. I figured that the long hard Winter would have panned out differently. Shows what I know.

Maybe the journalist took some of his inspiration from the report "Honey production - 2013" in Bee Culture pp. 16-18 OMTCW

Besides the media in 'Worshington' DC some of the results of polling or questionnaire led research are dependent on the questions asked ie garbage in garbage out. As some lady was professed to say 'I can see Russia from my backyard' I am about 100 miles south east of Washington but on a clear morning I swear I can smell the corruption from DC.
    Johno

I was surprised to hear that what has been found by Bee Informed is that this past Winter's losses are lower than previous years losses.
    I think the main reason was change in the way the numbers are calculated. As you know, some beekeepers lose a lot of bees in fall, which doesn't count as winter loss. Then many increase in spring which may complete offset previous losses. So it depends on what you mean by loss, how you measure it and when. 50 years ago it was common to cull substandard hives in the fall. Now, so many hives crash in the fall from varroa beekeepers try to overwinter everything they have left.

I don't think anybody really has a handle on what is going on, although I credit BeeInformed for trying.

PLB

This isn't one of those things like, "There are fools, dang fools, and statisticians.", is it?

I came across some of my old notebooks from when I operated a 2,000 colony operation in central Minnesota from the late 70's through the late 80's. We wintered most of our bees on location in those years in double deeps, usually replacing winter losses by spring nixing and occasional packages. I am seeing consistent winter losses from 25 to 40%. Some would call those losses unsustainable. It should be noted, however, that I'm still in business.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    It should be noted, however, that I'm still in business.
    What..... how did that happen?

P.S. bees on the road to RJ. Still laughing over that one...... really wondering what my name is back their? lol
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    What..... how did that happen?

P.S. bees on the road to RJ. Still laughing over that one...... really wondering what my name is back their? lol
    Best of luck to ya and be sure to check in when you are in the area. Your name? Hmmmm. I'll have to ask around. We've all been called a few you know.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

No, of course CCD actually happened. I am unhappy with the way it has been hijacked by special interest groups which strike me as largely anti-science (I actually read one telling me the other day that varroa mites, which we've been dealing with for decades, are a made-up threat invented by Monsanto to distract from the fact that neonicotinoids are killing all the bees; I couldn't believe what I was reading), and I'm unhappy that pesticides get 100% of the publicity at the expense of the multitude of other contributing factors; but I'm not unhappy to the point of historical revisionism where I'm going to pretend that the losses which have been reported since 2006 were completely made up or didn't represent anything abnormal; that's crazy talk.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

but I'm not unhappy to the point of historical revisionism where I'm going to pretend that the losses which have been reported since 2006 were completely made up or didn't represent anything abnormal;
    But it's clear that it wasn't caused by neonics.

Cam,
    You can't convince some people otherwise. There is too much emotional investment. It's feelings, not knowledge. Religion, not science. You can't fight it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast