Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many hives on a load?

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...pse6c82c12.jpg
    http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf368ae5a.jpg

I will save people the effort.......896 singles. Weight? Ummmmm. Just about right. . Pics taken on a nice cool 50 degree morning, lots of bearding when they were loaded 1,000 miles south and 36 hours earlier. Gotta love a good truck driver.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Default Re: How many hives on a load?

Jim, I truly appreciate the pictures of big rigs loaded with hives. Your pics, and sqkcrk's, AstroZomBee's and others have inspired me to grow my business.
    Then I remember that an Island, even a big one, limits me somewhat.
    If people here saw a rig like that show up on the highway I'm sure they would panic and call the police.

Nice photo. Are those hives going to be in South Dakota for the summer?
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Yup. Those pictures were taken by my son a few days ago in South Dakota shortly after sunrise. With the two trucks pictured and a nice cool day, they were able to get the entire load distributed by late afternoon. With modern cameras ( this was an iPhone) it seems like you get your best pictures in subdued light.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    [ Gotta love a good truck driver.
    That's debatable,.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

That's neat Jim.
    A friend of mine sent me a photo of his semi load of 1200 nucs. If I could Forward it I would. If I hadn't erased it already.

I do hope you have a good trucker.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

That is a layer higher than we go. Hope the feed truck is making the rounds!

Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    That is a layer higher than we go. Hope the feed truck is making the rounds!
    Going 6 and 7 on a step deck gives you lots more options plus simplifies strapping a bit. At 5 and 6 you are going to end up maxing out at 784 10 frame hives. Assuming a 47,000 lb. cargo capacity (a wee bit conservative with most trucks nowadays) would mean your pallets are averaging 240. If they do that they probably needed to be moved a week ago. However, if you go 6 and 7 and leave the back row empty you are at 832 which is usually pretty doable. Our motto is always "load em up then start negotiating" . Of course there is always a story behind a load like this......

And the story is Jim......

Jimmy, loading tonight, but only getting low 400's on BUT.... the forklift is going with him...... he unloads at the other end, I stay at this end keep loading till I run out of bees. I will take some pics so you can give to Super trucker.

Nice pictures, Jim!

straight lines! gotta love standardized equipment
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

...but you better patch that hole on the side of your net.

Yeah... just going over the hill, be unloaded in the morning. Nets are really light weight and easy to put on.

Nice photos, Thanks!

Jim what is the configuration of that step deck. Looks to me like a 11/37'.

I just got mine unloaded yesterday. 10/38' which wasted space on the back and only allowed 72 on the front but overall I got 488 on my load. That was a mix of doubles and singles. Plus I had another 146 on my little truck.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    Jim what is the configuration of that step deck. Looks to me like a 11/37'.

I just got mine unloaded yesterday. 10/38' which wasted space on the back and only allowed 72 on the front but overall I got 488 on my load. That was a mix of doubles and singles. Plus I had another 146 on my little truck.
    This one was 12/36. That's what most of them are. You gotta watch out, though, there are some 10/38's out there as you mention. If you just blindly load the bottom deck first it can make for an unpleasant surprise. A little time on the calculator and in discussion with the driver before loading is usually time well spent. However if you are going 7 high on the bottom the half pallet space on the front and back would still get you 816 singles on. Yeah getting doubles in the equation can complicate things but if the math works out weight wise there always seems to be a loading solution.
    Kind of funny I loaded out a 12/40 to the tail once last year not even realizing the truck length. When we were done the driver said, ummmm I dunno. I think I'm about 5,000 lbs. over......oops.

The driver didn't mention anything about being over but I know alot of the hives where pretty heavy. Im guessing the saving grace on the weight was the singles. I always like to load the front deck first and then move to the lower deck. I raced thru pretty quick for about the first half and then had to re-evaluate the load and number of singles and placement of said singles. It was a bit time consuimg but in the end it worked out very well. As you stated time well spent. The hauler is not an experienced beehauler so he was not added value to load configuration.

I thought about taking a picture of the load but I only had my cell phone with me and was in more of a hurry to get it loaded netted and then unloaded so I didnt bother.

What's the story with this pallet?

Heck of a good job loading that trailer.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast