Default Got inspected on Friday

Got inspected on Friday by our state inspector and I got a great review . He said all looked good and I was doing a good job . He looked at all my hives and we even pulled a few queens and made nucs it was a fun day . He asked how OAV was doing for VARROA and we did a alcohol wash on a hive that had supersedured about 20 days prier so there was no capped brood in the hive and there was no mites this hive was treated in the fall of last year Al my hives are queen right and have day old eggs and no swarm cells things are good .
    Took about 4 hours and he loved the beeyards told me I'm the only one he has ever seen use black hives and he's been at it for 30 years it was a good day.
    Last edited by GLOCK; 05-25-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Got inspected on Friday

Just curious how bee inspectors are with the use of unapproved treatment methods like oxalic acid?

I expect that I'll be visited by the inspectors as soon as I register my new PA apiary.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by waynesgarden View Post
    Just curious how bee inspectors are with the use of unapproved treatment methods like oxalic acid?

I expect that I'll be visited by the inspectors as soon as I register my new PA apiary.

Wayne
    I am very new to this, but it seems the inspections are to the benefit of the beekeeper & the hives...not to cause trouble at all. and I am not naive when it comes to the secular situation we all live in... just my 2 cents

Groovy....Nice looking setup

Thanks for sharing:}

They are primarily looking for foulbrood and are not the bee police. At least in this state. I was happy to get a second opinion last year when I was inspected. I delayed my hive inspections by a week so I didn't disturb them twice. When he came we found a queenless hive and a few that needed to be treated for mites in prep for winter. If you get inspected, be honest with them. It will only improve the feedback you get. Not many people will be willing to spend as much time checking your hives. I hope he comes again this year. I always appreciate a second pair of eyes.
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

Apiary Inspectors don't have the authority to regulate treatments. Not in most States that I am aware of anyway. Apiary Inspectors can enforce the destruction of AFB, a disease, and some pests, for example if tropelalacs clarea was detected than under the authority of the Commissioner of Agriculture hives could be destroyed. But when it comes to using something to kill varroa mites Apiary Inspectors don't have the authority to tell you that you can't use whatever you are using.

If something shows up in the honey you produce, that's another thing and another Division of the Department of Agriculture. Leastwise that's how I understand it.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Where I am, we do see various infractions when we are inspecting hives for AFB.

But our job is to find AFB. If we get heavy handed about other matters, people might try to dodge us, not register sites, etc, and that is counter productive to our job of finding AFB.

Other tack on it though, has anyone actually ever been prosecuted for treating their hive with oxalic? No? Perhaps most government employees turn a blind eye to this, while awaiting a law change to legalise this useful form of mite treatment.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I've only talked to one bee inspector and he seemed nice enough. I am going to call him Tuesday to see if there is any certification that I must get to sell honey labelled as organic, so I may be getting a visit from ours as well.

I REALLY like your black hives, they look really sharp. I wish I could try some but I don't think they'd work too well in my apiary for two reasons. All my hives are sitting out in the direct sunlight to combat SHB, and I live in sultry Alabama.

Do we have apiary inspectors in California??

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    I am going to call him Tuesday to see if there is any certification that I must get to sell honey labelled as organic, so I may be getting a visit from ours as well.
    I'd be really surprised if your Apiary Inspection Program has any certification for organic honey. I'd also be surprised if you can make organic honey. Maybe not surprised so much as impressed and curious.
    Mark Berninghausen

>Do we have apiary inspectors in California??

Agricultural counties probably do. Mine has not for 25+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I'd be really surprised if your Apiary Inspection Program has any certification for organic honey. I'd also be surprised if you can make organic honey. Maybe not surprised so much as impressed and curious.
    I haven't treated for anything, with anything. I fed one quart of sugar water to each of my hives in mid March. That sugar water should have been fed to brood, so there is no sugar syrup honey in my hives. I don't know what else it would take to make it organic. I have no idea what the criteria for organic honey is, but figured that not treating and not feeding is a good start to having it. I may be disqualified by having foundation in my medium frames since it probably contains traces of stuff that I have never used?

Where do your bees forage? Is their flight range all organically maintained? This is another Thread Topic. Not the topic of this Thread. Sorry u brought it up.
    Mark Berninghausen

You're right. Sorry Glock.

sqkcrk, here you go: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...73#post1112373

If you fed them sugar syrup that is not organic, you are disqualified.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Wayne
    I would imagine they would feel the same way about treating with powdered sugar, which is also unapproved for mite control?