Thread: no queen

Default no queen

i received a package of bees in may.... most of the bee's were dead in the bottom of the package.... i don't see a queen bee i am new to beekeeping and need to know...what happens to the colony without the queen? i would say only about 1,000 bee's made the trip.... any help would sure be grateful

Default Re: no queen

That's very unfortunate.

1000 bees with no queen will likely perish, perhaps led by a laying worker. Have you tried contacting the supplier?

'Sorry to hear of your misfortune...

thanks colobee.... some good news we did find the queen today..... and we are feeding them.. but will such a small amount of bees be able to survive.....they are filling out some comb and the queen looks in good health.... any suggestions...

Feed feed feed i had a queen survive the winter with just a few hundred bees. I checked her yesterday. She is in a 6 frame nuc. She has brood on 4 frames. Feed feed feed. I add a little apple cider to the sugar water

Sorry to hear that. It is heartbreaking to see bees killed in transit. I hope you took photographs and get compensation.
    You might find a fellow beekeeper and purchase a frame of capped brood w nurse bees to more rapidly beef up your population or simply donate your bees to someone with more hives so your survivors have a better chance combined with other resources. Good luck.