Thread: Worms in comb

Default Worms in comb

Not sure what the little worms are, but I do have EFB In this hive. Got the bad news today by mail I had the bee Inspecter take sample about 2weeks ago! The hive y is just about done I did move far away from the other two hives that still doing good. Any ideas on what the worms are? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Worms in comb

think its SHB larva

If you are seeing small black beetles they are small hive beetle larvae. Or wax moth larvae.

Most definitely hive beetle larvae

Get them out of your hive! Put something to kill the larvae as they come out to pupate those jokers will wipe you out!

Put frames like this with little brood in bag and freeze to kill larvae and eggs. Install some traps like beetle blasters or better Freeman beetle traps.

I would also say SHB larvae.

The hive will abscond if you don't do something. If the infestation is bad, I would move the hive off the stand, put a new setup there (bottom board, hive body, new foundation or old comb from storage, the whole shebang). Then I would shake the bees off onto the ground in front of the hive and freeze the comb to kill the eggs and larvae or find a nice healthy fire ant mound, give the mound a little kick and lay the frames on the anthill.

We had an otherwise strong hive last year that appeared to be bursting at the seams, but it turned out the SHB had made a mess of the comb in a matter of days since the previous inspection causing a majority of the bees to hang around outside the hive instead of keeping things in order. We managed to save it in this manner and followed it up with a new queen.

Pittsburg, [Willamson County] Illinois, USA

You can save the comb if you like, but if it were me I would burn the comb & bees. A fresh start with good bees would be my goal.

also spray GardStar on the ground to help prevent it from happening again.

Sure looks like SHB. Post a closer picture showing the legs/back...but i don't see any wax moth webs.
    SHB's probably moved in due to EFB weakening the hive, they're opportunistic like that.

Sorry man, that's a bummer.