Thread: Tiny bee...

Default Tiny bee...

Found this little one dead outside the hive.

Seems to be at the last legs of the pupal state and almost ready for emerging.

10348933_10152396291967931_4856424723527313797_o.jpg
    10298200_10152396291957931_6381473599971079003_o.jpg

Any theories on this?

Default Re: Tiny bee...

The smaller bee is a victim of varroa mites feeding on it's blood. It is underdeveloped, has deformed-wing-virus and will die shortly are emerging. The larger bee is fully developed and probably died of old age. Check your hive for varroa infestation levels and take action as needed.
    Triangle Bees

I hate varroa mites. I hope one day there is a magic bullet for them.

Quote Originally Posted by db_land View Post
    The smaller bee is a victim of varroa mites feeding on it's blood. It is underdeveloped, has deformed-wing-virus and will die shortly are emerging. The larger bee is fully developed and probably died of old age. Check your hive for varroa infestation levels and take action as needed.
    Well this is varroa-free country and I have double checked for mites... so that is not the case.

I suppose it's possible this bee could have been exposed/infected with some of the viruses that are normally vectored by varroa mites. Is it possible your bees were supplied to you from some other country that is not varroa free? How long have you had these bees? A better picture of the small bee would be helpful.
    Triangle Bees

Quote Originally Posted by db_land View Post
    I suppose it's possible this bee could have been exposed/infected with some of the viruses that are normally vectored by varroa mites. Is it possible your bees were supplied to you from some other country that is not varroa free? How long have you had these bees? A better picture of the small bee would be helpful.
    I have had the bees from 2011 and the colony in question has a very vigorous queen. The queens are supplied from the Aaland Islands archipelago which are varroa free.

I have not seen any more of these and the health of the hive is very good. My theory is beginning to lean towards this being an aborted later stage pupa in a smallish cell as the queen was apparently desperate for laying space. I have also had some chilled brood.