Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: **INPUT NEEDED*** 1500 colony operation

At less than $50.00/hive for cherry pollination is it worth it? How long are hives in cherries? Can you do cherries and then move on to something more profitable close by? Or something before?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Did I read this right? 3000 deeps and 1500 shallows for 1500 hives? So each hive gets 2 deeps and one shallow?

We have different conditions here, but figure on 5 deeps per hive, max 4 on hive, and 1 in transit.
    Thats my figure also, but I have yet to achieve those box numbers LOL. Beegolden, in time I will build to the number of boxes needed. Always short boxes!!
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Did I read this right? 3000 deeps and 1500 shallows for 1500 hives? So each hive gets 2 deeps and one shallow?

We have different conditions here, but figure on 5 deeps per hive, max 4 on hive, and 1 in transit.

Crazy Roland
    One thing to remember..... Bee Golden is from Cali, where the average is less than a deep super a year.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Agreed Kieth, different conditions. I guess I am not familiar with how the OP is running his hives. 2 deeps and a shallow is not enough room for our bees, and leaves nothing for in transit.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    The issue is he gets a call at 6:30 over dinner pm saying, "We will be spraying at 4 AM". He has to work all night running multiple loads, would work better with a second truck and driver, but that more investment and another hire.
    My call came in at 10pm saying we sprayed you need to get your bee's out. It took us 2 hours to get there and we just made it out by sunrise. Now if we had not dropped everything and ran to pick them up they all would have been dead when they went to the flowers in the morning. Too close a call for me last year.

I'm not commercial, but I think your advisor is probably correct. If it was true that in 3 years a business could reach a net profit of $340K there would be a giant wave of people scrambling to reach that golden ring. I'd guess that you're probably off by a factor of 3, and perhaps more. Not trying to pour water on your plan, just don't think it is consistent with economic realities. Best of luck.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12