Big Grin A funny thing happens to a newbie! Would have made a good video !

I had a funny thing happened to me yesterday ,I saw a swarm and went to capture it. It was way up in an oak tree .I had to clamp to poles together with a bucket on the end and then still get on top of the step ladder to reach them .I got a good portion of them in the bucket and stirred up the rest of them. Now the rest of this swarm had reclustered on the lower branch great! I dumped the first batch into a deep brood box .Now with my wife holding the bucket on a much shorter pole I climbed up on the step ladder with a pair loppers in hand to snip off the branch, the loppers were junk and just shook the branch and the swarm down on top of me and my wife. I was covered with bees from head to toe in my hair in my face on my shirt in my shirt, in the meantime my wife dropped the buckets and went to shake herself off. I ended up getting stung one time under the armpit my wife didn't fare quite as well she had 4 or 5 stings. Yesterday I had six hives today I have seven that is beekeeping! :-)

Default Re: A funny thing happens to a newbie! Would have made a good video !

Too funny, except for the stings.

My first swarm, short version:

College campus, summer work study. Silver spoon, Swarm in June, from mean resident wild hives in very old stone buildings, hanging above main walkway, summer classes in session. Co-worker/beekeeper sick. Up to me. No bee suit: ski bibs, coat, goggles & stocking cap will have to do, despite mid 60's & climbing. Sweat, death wish, scared to death. Ladder, loppers & cardboard box. Clip, down, into box, done. No stings. New beekeeper.

Long version potentially available upon coercion.

Whatever arm twisting it takes ,I'm sure there's a little laughter in there somewhere . I'd love to hear the rest of the story

Good story. Thanks for sharing it. Could have contacted me and I could have videoed it for ya'. lol

Would have love to hear your wifes response next time you need help.

>... just shook the branch and the swarm down on top of me... I was covered with bees from head to toe in my hair in my face on my shirt in my shirt

Been there, done that, quit getting them off a ladder after that...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Belpre Ohio Ken View Post
    Whatever arm twisting it takes ,I'm sure there's a little laughter in there somewhere . I'd love to hear the rest of the story
    I think the short version has most of the humor.
    Last edited by Colobee; 05-20-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks Michael sounds like good advice I'll keep that in mind next time .Oh by the way , all of my beehives and supplies come from brushy Mountain good quality thanks again.

Welcome Ken! So the problem is cutting rather than shaking.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com