Default Darn it! I spoke too soon about the swarm

Just took a peak and they aren't going in an out of the hive anymore. They are clustered underneath the swarm catcher/hive.
    beeswarm5182014.jpg

Default Re: Darn it! I spoke too soon about the swarm

Is that the entire swarm? if it is...it is awful small.

Yeah, it's small. It's all of it as far as I can tell. Before sundown bees were going in and out of this box. Now the sun has gone down and I find this cluster.

If that is not a five frame box, I would get them in a five frame box with either a frame of open brood and some nectar from another hive, or at least a frame of nectar from another hive....that swarm is way too small for a regular hive body and I doubt they are carrying enough honey to survive on their own being so small!

Well, we just got them into the box. It's an 8 frame box, but that's all we have at the moment. It has 4 frames of built out old comb, a couple of new frames and a feeder. That's all we can do now in the pitch dark. Tomorrow, if they are still there, we'll pull a frame of honey from a hive.
    I'm glad we suited up. I'd heard that swarms were mellow but these bees were pissed!

Good luck Tabby. and how did you attatch that picture if you dont mind me asking, I cant seem to get one to go thru.

Quote Originally Posted by biggraham610 View Post
    Good luck Tabby. and how did you attatch that picture if you dont mind me asking, I cant seem to get one to go thru.
    I use the insert image tool at the top of the post, but I have to use the basic uploader option since the regular option won't do anything. I also shrink my image down a bit since really large images won't go through.

Quote Originally Posted by tabby View Post
    I use the insert image tool at the top of the post, but I have to use the basic uploader option since the regular option won't do anything. I also shrink my image down a bit since really large images won't go through.
    I know this is a stupid question, but Im not much on the computer.... how do you shrink your images? Ane, have the little swarm cooled off today?

I shrink my images using Photoshop, but there are many cheaper, or free, ways to shrink images.