Default no sign of small hive beetle so far...

One blessing this year so far is the apparent absence of small hive beetles. Maybe it's because my hives are strong and able to keep them out. I've seen exactly one in two booming hives. Any others noticing that they're low this year, or is it too early to know for sure?

Default Re: no sign of small hive beetle so far...

In my established hive, I'm seeing more on the IPM board than I did last year when they were just a nuc. Using diatomaceous earth on their IPM board to kill the larvae as it falls thru the screen. But on my new colony from a package this year, I've seen none. Also non on the small nuc I am doing for a friend.

you better knock on wood karen. Hive beetles don't do much here until summer when its hot and dry. July, August, September. June is usually when we start to see more than 1 or 2 running around.

Last year was about mid June, but they showed up fast and furious last week of April this year. I thought this was going to be a bad year, but they have slowed way down the last week or so. Go out in the evening on a nice warm day and if you have shb you will see them flying in.