Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is Roundup as safe as we have been told?

I'm not saying that roundup is good for bees, because I don't think it's good for anyone - human, cattle, insect, etc. to ingest it, but my perspective is this:

We have seen an increase in CCD that, to me, historically seems to track with the proliferation of GMO crops. We have also seen a huge increase in gluten intolerance that appears to also track with the increased use of GMO wheat and corn.

I can't control where my bees go, and there is a GMO corn/soybean field .5 miles from my house. I'm more concerned with that field than I am with the Roundup that I spray at night.

I'm not saying that spraying acres of Roundup is a good thing for bees, because it probably is not, but I think that the prevalence of GMO crops has more to do with bee population decline than any pesticide in use today.

Here is an article about GMO usage and bee decline. Please look at the picture of the dissected bees: http://www.globalresearch.ca/death-o...-america/25950

Also, I have observed that several people I know who have severe wheat gluten intolerance issues remarkably are able to eat wheat products that do not contain GMO wheat without problems.

I think the same goes for bees. Just my $.02 from a new beek

Quote Originally Posted by spreerider View Post
    look at the source of the article, wake up world, probaly not the best scientific reporting website out there. They also have articles on vaccines and many other conspiracy theories.
    the same can also very easily be said by the source of the information as to the safety of roundup, i.e. the manufacturer, or any other pesticide (herbicide or insectide). it depends on which camp, believer or non-believer, you fall in as to who you probably believe, but i tend to hold large agri-business corporations guilty until proven innocent when it pertains to the safety of a particular chemical.

i choose not to use roundup and other chemicals on my place, mostly because i want to ensure that my kids don't grow up eating that stuff on the veggies and fruit that i grow for us. can i control what they eat from other sources? sure i can by shopping locally and buying produce from a local farmer that practices the same techniques as me, i.e. no chemicals. i can't control everything that goes into them, but i can do my best at it.

mostly i don't understand why beeks see forage disappearing and bee numbers declining, but still continue to use some of the same chemicals that are suspect in the decline of both bees and forage. to each their own, but those don't add up to me.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

All wishing to starve to death in the dark in a cave or not use the chemicals that make it possible for farmers to feed so many people please continue. I will continue to judiciously use what the genius of man has provided that allows us to live at much larger than hunter gatherer populations.

Is it the hand of man that you're against? Plants have been adapting to survive ever since they came into being. They have genetically modified themselves to resist pests that prey on them.....just like the weeds that are now modifying themselves to resist Round Up. If nature does it, it's okay, if man does it, it's poisoning us? I agree with Vance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    All wishing to starve to death in the dark in a cave or not use the chemicals that make it possible for farmers to feed so many people please continue. I will continue to judiciously use what the genius of man has provided that allows us to live at much larger than hunter gatherer populations.
    Is it too early to make nominations for post of the year?
    Just so we are clear, to say that we are eating GMO wheat is factually incorrect. Yes, breeders have been working for years to develop more productive and drought tolerant strains but you aren't going to see anyone out spraying their wheat with roundup.....at least not more than once.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

GMO isn't just "roundup ready". They're modifying things for all sorts of reasons. Roundup ready is only one. (Corn has pesticide for that worm that eats them, I've also read of them putting scorpion venim in something to kill another pest for that plant. I think it was a mellon) I've read that the wheat in the US is all GMO and there's really nothing that can be done. There is a country that has "old" wheat I can't remember where it is now, but even if we bought the seed and brought it here it would only last a year as I understand it because it would cross pollinate and be done.

Delber I am not sure that I agree that all wheat in the US is GMO wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    GMO isn't just "roundup ready". They're modifying things for all sorts of reasons. Roundup ready is only one. (Corn has pesticide for that worm that eats them, I've also read of them putting scorpion venim in something to kill another pest for that plant. I think it was a mellon) I've read that the wheat in the US is all GMO and there's really nothing that can be done. There is a country that has "old" wheat I can't remember where it is now, but even if we bought the seed and brought it here it would only last a year as I understand it because it would cross pollinate and be done.
    In a thread titled "Is Roundup as safe as we have been told" it's simply inaccurate to casually throw out the statement that "wheat in the US is all GMO".

I think on the Bee Forum that we should just leave it at that and not get into all the subtleties of breeding and selection of pretty much ALL the food found in your local grocery store.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Not as safe as I was told.

Years ago, our local Extension expert told me he would rather eat a spoonful of Roundup, than a spoonful of salt. He went on to be the head of the Extension Service. Must be he ate the salt.

If I recall correctly, fungicides have negative effects on colonies; they don't directly harm the bees, but instead affect the ripening of pollen into bee bread by affecting the yeast (fungi) that cause the fermentation to take place. Likewise, I don't suspect that glyphosphate is directly harmful to bees, but do suspect that it could affect the microbial life upon which honeybee health depends.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

Michael is correct. If this is a safe substance we should be able to drink it without any adverse impacts, but i can assure you no one want it in there water or food. In many areas the surface drainage takes the chemicals such as RoundUp into wetlands and streams and that is where it does most of its damage.The Forest Preserve District in my area has a war on a few plants that they feel are invasive. They spray selectively but use hundreds of gallons. I have been unable to stop them as they are convinced the chemical is better than invasive plants. As for myself I prefer invasive plants and weeds, and when Iam concerned I cut the plants that are unsightly which is very rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    All my life I've been hearing that this chemical or that is harmless and all my life a few years later it is banned because it causes cancer in humans or has some other serious side effects. Do you folks actually believe what we have now is safe? I've heard that line all my life and it's never turned out to have been true yet... you can't know the long term effects of exposure to something until you've been exposed to it long term... and you trust the research on how safe these chemicals are?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup...ientific_fraud
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...g-herbicide-p/

2-4-D of course was accidently developed by people working on chemical warfare to kill humans...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-Dic...c_acid#History

We had a professor from the Department of Horticultural Science at NCSU give a talk on horticulture in our area. When asked about the safety of RoundUp, he said that it wasn't as toxic as asprin. Now he was referring to human toxicidity and not bees. I have no problem spraying all around my garden to kill weeds. Beats the heck out of pulling them up every week.
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends ---- Robert Earl Keen

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Not as safe as I was told.

Years ago, our local Extension expert told me he would rather eat a spoonful of Roundup, than a spoonful of salt. He went on to be the head of the Extension Service. Must be he ate the salt.

This is likely why he said that. I also included Vinegar for reference. Glyphosate looks like it is applied at 1-2 Quarts/acre. I wonder what the Vinegar rate is.

Rat LD50's (Smaller numbers are more toxic):

Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) 200 mg/kg
    Caffeine 192 mg/kg
    Table Salt 3,000 mg/kg
    Acetic Acid - Vinegar 3310 mg/kg
    Glyphosate - Roundup >5000 mg/kg

I'm sorry I used the wrong term. Not GMO, but according to this article Genetically manipulated. Sorry for the mis statement. Check out this article. I have no idea who the author is, but it's interesting. . . http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/0...ally-modified/

As related to bees. . . The farm where I have hives they use roundup a lot. My hives have never done well over about a year there. There are months where it seems that they're doing well, but then they crash fast and hard. One week they look fabulous with a deep of brood and the next they're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by imthedude View Post
    the same can also very easily be said by the source of the information as to the safety of roundup, i.e. the manufacturer, or any other pesticide (herbicide or insectide). it depends on which camp, believer or non-believer, you fall in as to who you probably believe, but i tend to hold large agri-business corporations guilty until proven innocent when it pertains to the safety of a particular chemical.

The website for the article is a complete joke. Here are a few tidbits that I copied.

In celebration of the Jupiter entering the Leo cycle, I would like to share with you a personal message on how to orientate your consciousness to this frequency. One of the biggest lessons this cycle was showing us was the need for total inner security. Saturn’s lessons are tough but the rewards are profound. We are given great power to do great things but unless we act with responsibility and respect our limitations will lead us directly to our own downfall. Luckily we have already spent the last 7 months connecting to ourselves with Venus transiting through Cancer.

Evidence Shows Historical Application of Vaccines Had No Impact on Prevention of Infectious Disease
    A summary review of data on neurological adverse events and the historical role of vaccination in the natural course of infectious disease in Switzerland and Germany, supports data from other regions with evidence that vaccines had no positive impact on disease prevention efforts from the early-mid to late 20th century. The data contradicts widespread misinformation campaigns by the mainstream medical establishment which claim that vaccination led to immunization and a subsequent decline in infectious disease.

Global Warming Blamed for Future UFO Attacks
    Watching from afar, extraterrestrial beings might view changes in Earth’s atmosphere as symptomatic of a civilization growing out of control – and take drastic action to keep us from becoming a more serious threat, the researchers explain.” Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilizations, say scientists.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

propane flame thrower with hose/water supply to contain fire spread or dilution of vinegar sprayed on leaves will work.

Quote Originally Posted by woodedareas View Post
    If this is a safe substance we should be able to drink it without any adverse impacts,
    That is ridicules statement. Do you use liquid hand soap, shampoo, deodorant, hand cream, mouthwash, or sunscreen? I am pretty sure that you would have adverse impacts if you drank any of these.

Quote Originally Posted by woodedareas View Post
    In many areas the surface drainage takes the chemicals such as RoundUp into wetlands and streams and that is where it does most of its damage.
    Really? Where did you read that? Do you have a reference?
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I use roundup around my hives at least twice a year and I use it all over my farm... My bees do very well. Roundup isn't a problem, pesticides are a different story...
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 2 nd Year / 4 TF - 10T {OAV}

>Rat LD50's (Smaller numbers are more toxic):
    Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) 200 mg/kg
    Caffeine 192 mg/kg
    Table Salt 3,000 mg/kg
    Acetic Acid - Vinegar 3310 mg/kg
    Glyphosate - Roundup >5000 mg/kg

LD50 for Lead (Pb) for Rats is 560 mg so obviously it's much safer than Caffeine... you could put it in you coffee everyday with no ill effects right?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

From an above post:
    "i tend to hold large agribusiness corporations guilty until proven innocent when it pertains to the safety of a particular chemical." Is this a telling statement.

From another post: "I have observed that several people I know who have severe wheat gluten intolerance issues remarkably are able to eat wheat products that do not contain GMO wheat without problems." I can understand this happening, as I also have many friends and when we visit the conversations always drift to, "well how are your gluten issues since you started eating wheat products that did not originate from GMOs?" NOT

When I read such as the above, I just close my mind to this biased person's reply.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast