Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is Roundup as safe as we have been told?

Jim,

Let me know if you have a problem with too many pheasants.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Herder View Post
    Now were talkin Snookie. I'm checking flights as we speak. When and what time did you say the next crawfish boil is? I love me some mudbugs!
    Father's Day of course:}

We start off with a Smoked Boudin Omelette for breakfast while we purging the Mud Bugs just to get in the Cajun Throw Down mood, then as I mentioned once all the boiling is done and the food is gone I simply pour the seasoned water remains into a watering can and sprinkle it around my hives and the ant piles in the yard.

Works like a charm:}

Very nice, Jim!

> Thanks to glyphosate this was so easy a beekeeper could do it.

Are there caves in South Dakota?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by TWall View Post
    Jim,

Let me know if you have a problem with too many pheasants.

Tom
    Will do. . Lots of Sharptail Grouse the very first year but took a few more years until I started seeing pheasants. The coolest thing I have seen is a nest of Ferruginous Hawks. Took us a while to figure out what they were as very few hawks (including ferruginous) will nest on the ground particularly when there are trees nearby. It was only about 100 yards from my house and it was fun watching them learn to fly.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Kudos Jim for the CRP prairie grass.

You conservationist softie you.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Kudos Jim for the CRP prairie grass.

You conservationist softie you.
    Shhhh. Don't let word get out.
    BTW I put in a picture of the young hawks in their nest. It's pretty cool.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

The problem I see is herbicides that stick around longer than we need them. They are introduce into the food chain and go around in a spin cycle.
    My garden was lacking in nitrogen. My neighbor has horses, he was kind enough to offer free composted manure. Soil tests about like it should now but everything was stunted, potatoes, squash, cucumbers, been, peas, okra, and cabbage just started yellowing and died off.
    Potatoes are still there but will probably be gone soon.
    I had never heard of aminopyralid contamination before, guess what my neighbors feed supplier treats his hay meadows with?
    If you go to Dow's agri website there's even a nice warning about not using composted manure on gardens. They created a broad leaf control chemical that passes right through animals. The manure and urine will kill anything broad leaf for 1-5 years (depending on whose half life numbers you use)
    Onion and garlic are holding on still, but I don't think I want to eat what killed everything else.
    These potatoes have been in the ground since St. Patrick's day.

I would like to thank Dow chemical for reminding me that its not all OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Backyarder View Post
    I had never heard of aminopyralid contamination before
    thanks, I've been trying to figure out why my Tomatoes that I start from seeds the last three years died. I tried all kinds of different seeds etc figuring it was a disease, looking at the pictures of how to diagnose if you have it, boy have I got it. The last two years the only thing that I have harvested is Garlic, nothing kills that.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Interesting, it should be pointed out though, for the sake of clarity in this thread, that this is NOT from roundup but an entirely different class of herbicide in that it's action much more closely resembles 2-4-D.
    http://www.dowagro.com/range/resource/milestone_faq.htm

what ever happened to the plow and cultivator? lets see it's a cycle farmers use chemicals to get an edge and create more profit= more crop produced = bumper crop = price drop = need a new edge.
    I'm from Jersey. South Jersey that is.

Quote Originally Posted by j.kuder View Post
    what ever happened to the plow and cultivator? lets see it's a cycle farmers use chemicals to get an edge and create more profit= more crop produced = bumper crop = price drop = need a new edge.
    Soil conservation practices used by farmers to prevent erosion and runoff have necessitated the use of herbicides for weed suppression.

Quote Originally Posted by j.kuder View Post
    Odd how this has come full circle. I remember as a boy when it was the plow that was spoken of with disdain. Lots of resulting erosion. Field ruts could get deep deep enough to tip over a combine or break an axle weren't unusual with massive amounts of silt washing into waterways. The bottom line is with chemicals far fewer trips through the field are required with much less fuel being used. Yes, it is much more profitable to use chemicals. Farming is competitive, it's tough to pay for farm ground, seed and machinery at current prices, is that something that farmers need to apologize for?

my family was a victim of a corporate farming operation over spraying and over dosing of an herbicide called clomazone. it drifted over my farm after the corporate farm boss told the untrained seasonal help to spray the 200 acre field across from my property. it was a windy day about 20mph. after i suspected we got hit i went looking for evidence and we found the box of jugs they threw in the bushes on the edge of the field. the warning sheets were still on the bottles. which said if overspraying occures it will cause a whitening of surrounding vegetation. well i found whitening of vegetation up to a 1/2 of a mile from that field. it turned new growth especially on wild cherry trees white which was how i realized my property and beyond got sprayed. signs of the whitening was still showing up along the field 6 months later. this happened in south jersey.
    think about it. poison is poison it don't care what it kills

Today's farmers have to be very efficient and cost effective. I recently went on our counties' agricultural tour. We toured a dairy, and I was so impressed with how knowledgeable the farmer was. He was up to date on environmental issues, feeding and milking, nutrition, animal husbandry and foliage. I am a life long engineer, and I have never met a man with more broad based knowledge of his field of endeavor. His dairy milks 1,000 cows per day. Still, his margins are razor thin and he has to keep volume at it's highest to stay profitable. I think the day of the cultivator and plow left us when over the past decades as the world's population doubled. Everyone has to be fed.

Is Roundup as safe as we have been told?
    NO

yea thats what the health dept. lady said "we all must have our sweet potatoes for thanks giving dinner". at what cost. well she got her sweet potatoes for thanks giving dinner they showed up in our local supermarket that year.
    Enjoy Your Poison!

Quote Originally Posted by lazy shooter View Post
    I think the day of the cultivator and plow left us when over the past decades as the world's population doubled. Everyone has to be fed.
    Yes it did and yes they do. I am no Monsanto fan so don't get me wrong in what I am going to say. I don't think Roundup is as safe as we've been told, but is it more safe than it's alternatives? Probably. The alternatives can be used without genetically modifying the crops which is great. This comes as one of the pick your poison things.

One problem is that 99% of America has no way to feed itself. If YOU think that you can go out and grow your own food and feed your family without buying produce then go for it. Where are most of you going to grow it? In your .10 acre yard? Do you know how to preserve food? Do you know how to preserve seed? What are you going to eat until your vegetables mature?

If we ever have a widespread catastrophic agriculture failure then this country will be in civil war. It will be the haves against the have nots. It won't be about money, it will be about food.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    Is roundup really 125% more toxic than what they have claimed?
    Just to be clear, the referenced article claims :

Roundup herbicide, for instance, was found to be 125 times more toxic than its active ingredient glyphosate studied in isolation.
    Those are two significantly different numbers.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Roundup is a brand name. When originally developed and marketed, the only active ingredient in Roundup was glyphosate. Manufacture of glyphosate was protected by US and international patents, and only Roundup had glyphosate. A couple of decades later, those patents expired, and manufacture of glyphosate was open to anyone without paying patent licensing fees.

Many competing brands of glyphosate are now available. Monsanto, the original patent holder of glyphosate has responded by mixing other herbicides with glyphosate in an attempt to continue to offer a 'unique' product, still using the Roundup brand name.

Note this section (and in particular the highlighted part) from the actual study linked in post #1:

It is commonly believed that Roundup is among the safest pesticides. This idea is spread by manufacturers, mostly in the reviews they promote [39, 40], which are often cited in toxicological evaluations of glyphosate-based herbicides. However, Roundup was found in this experiment to be 125 times more toxic than glyphosate. Moreover, despite its reputation, Roundup was by far the most toxic among the herbicides and insecticides tested. This inconsistency between scientific fact and industrial claim may be attributed to huge economic interests, which have been found to falsify health risk assessments and delay health policy decisions [41].

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...6/#!po=15.6250
    The point of this is that while at one time Roundup = glyphosate, now they are not the same thing.

Looking at it another way, according to this study, plain old 'generic' glyphosate is 125 times LESS TOXIC than Roundup (the current Roundup formulation).

I use plain old generic glyphosate on my property. Given the price difference between glyphosate and Roundup, I suspect many other users have also switched to generic glyphosate.

Roundup is no longer strictly glyphosate. Do yourself a favor and switch from branded Roundup to a generic glyphosate product. I use a Cornerstone product available from my local Farm Coop store.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-17-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Angry Re: Is Roundup as safe as we have been told?

Have you not heard about miticide-resistant mites yet? (Here, list all the "treatments" we beekeepers have done and, yes, the I-Pee-Em methods)

Please don't tell me you have not heard about roundup-resistant weeds.

When are we going to think out of the box while helping these companies become mega-rich, choking the planet?

Are we not sick of these treadmill solutions? I am.
    Last edited by Earthboy; 05-17-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast