Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Default Re: Is Roundup as safe as we have been told?

Does this answer help distributing and sharing food? Does it stop wasting food? Can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Did people starve 40 years ago before glyphosate NO this whole thing is about killing weeds and the world food supply going belly up......No scientific proof
    Right, and just like the anti-chemical folks, we are going to scream about world food shortages until science catches up and proves our outrageous claim. How long will that take? I cant tell you now, but I will know it when I see it. Until our foregone conclusion is proved, you are going to keep on hearing it.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    Does this answer help distributing and sharing food? Does it stop wasting food? Can't see it.
    As of right now there is enough food ta feed the world the argument revolves around the forgone conclusion that in the next so many years as the population doubles or what ever we will have to increase food production no matter what the cost to our health or the planet. The answer is to stop having children.There is not a lack of food in the world just 2 many people. STOP HAVING CHILDREN
    Im really not that serious

Interesting concept, but who shall bell the cat?

We wring our hands about unproven health threats but the base of our predicament is that we are entirely too fertile, healthy and long lived. What a quandary!

How about three herbicides. Clethodim, Sethydoxin, and Fusillade all kill grass without harmingeverything else alone.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Interesting concept, but who shall bell the cat?

We wring our hands about unproven health threats but the base of our predicament is that we are entirely too fertile, healthy and long lived. What a quandary!
    An oxymoron indeed, nailed in just a few well chosen words.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

STOP HAVING CHILDREN
    That is the bottom line to every environmental argument, but only few people will take it that far. What is the next logical step beyond that? Start killing people off?

STOP HAVING CHILDREN
    The "problem". . . "be fruitful and multiply". Our bees do it very well as long as they're healthy. So does every other living thing. One corn seed becomes how many? If it only had one or two ears of corn could it be a thousand? Maby two or more from one? That's pretty incredible multiplication!!! This in my mind (distribution problems) is all the more reason to look into local farming. You can pick it up right at the farm or farmers market or something like that. It is interesting that the local farmers that I've been seeing recently aren't using the chemicals as the larger farms are. That seems to be (at least in my area) the recent push. Local / natural, organic, biodinamic farming. We'll see how things go in the next 10-20 years. In my mind hands down wether you think roundup is Ok or not, you have to agree that things would be better for our bees if there are NO chemicals around (in whatever form) that our bees are working and bringing back into the hive. (This includes people putting them on their yards 3 or more times per year) Does anyone disagree with that? Does anyone think it's better if our bees bring chemicals into their hive?
    Last edited by delber; 08-28-2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: clarification

A few thoughts:

1. If the population continues to grow at some point in time there will be a person on every square yard of land. Who knows, maybe we will learn to like cozy.

2. I assume we are still evolving since nature isn't static. That being the case, will our bodies adapt to the chemicals we are worried about.

3. I think we all want a pesticide, herbicide free world where there is food and flowers for all. Where every day is a holiday and every meal is a banquet.

Delber,

I don't disagree with it, I am doing it to the extent that I can on 1/3 of an acre inside city limits, and trading eggs for some things I can't grow, drought and all. This year I put the garden on the pond. Saved $400 on my water bill, didn't get a lot of tomatoes but got as many as I got last year. Grasshoppers got a lot of things so I put my old hens and a rooster in the garden and they saved the day. A dog got my roo a week ago, I miss him... But not many people could do what I do and the droughts are going to un-diversify our diets if they continue. I had some lambquarters and wild purslane in my egg stirfry a couple of days ago, as the grasshoppers and drought have kept getting my swiss chard. Learning how to eat what will grow locally is going to challenge some. I am considering fried grasshoppers I'll tell you, but so far I only catch one or 2 at a time and feed them to the backyard hens

And for those fans of pigweed - the seeds are not bad, extremely nutritious but difficult to soften enough to get the nutrition out, and the leaves can also be cooked or served in salads, although I think they are a little tough. I grow Hopi Red Dye Amaranth but I try to get the seeds picked prompt or it gets out of hand.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Wide distribution of food was doable when oil was cheap (and of infinite supply) The average morsel of food consumed was transported 1500 miles. Actual energy expenditure far more than the food energy produced. This will come to an end! What is unsupportable does not stay up. Then you will see local production and consumption on a much more labor intensive structure but I can guarantee the people wont like the new norm. Most of our ideological fantasies are best enjoyed on full stomachs. The veneer of civilization is very thin.

The biggest problem the "local grown" food is that unless you live in California, your choices are going to be very limited.

Unless I am going to sustain myself on corn, soybeans. and wheat local produce it wont work where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    bees only consume 2 things, nectar and pollen. what does herbicide in lethal or nonlethal doses do to the nectar and pollen of plants?

Justin,.....
    Bees in your part of the country do not collect water or propolis ??? I know for a fact bees collect water and propolis in New England

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    The biggest problem the "local grown" food is that unless you live in California, your choices are going to be very limited.

Unless I am going to sustain myself on corn, soybeans. and wheat local produce it wont work where I live.
    This is in my opinion where "supply and demand" comes into play. Why are all those farms raising those crops? There's a great demand for them. If the demand comes to be other things then farmers will either adjust or be out of business. If we (as consumers) make a stink for just about any product there will be people that will rise to the occasion. Everyone? No, but there will be some. In my area there are several farms that are "organic" not all are "certified" but their practices are organic which in my mind is great. (Lower prices, but same good product, and they don't have to go through the red tape) Just like it's important for your customers to know you as the beekeeper it's equally important for you to know the farmer.

Perhaps another question would be preservation (freezing, canning etc) so that eating "only what's in season" wouldn't be as much of an issue?

I wish I would have been able to see the answers to the thought. . . Is it beter for chemicals to be brought into the hive in any dose? Perhaps that has already been answered by Gypsi.

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    This is in my opinion where "supply and demand" comes into play. Why are all those farms raising those crops? There's a great demand for them. If the demand comes to be other things then farmers will either adjust or be out of business. If we (as consumers) make a stink for just about any product there will be people that will rise to the occasion. .
    Ironically, you just provided a pretty good description of capitalism. Time will tell when the stink causes farmers to grow organic produce in Kansas. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Wide distribution of food was doable when oil was cheap (and of infinite supply) The average morsel of food consumed was transported 1500 miles. Actual energy expenditure far more than the food energy produced. This will come to an end! What is unsupportable does not stay up. Then you will see local production and consumption on a much more labor intensive structure but I can guarantee the people wont like the new norm. Most of our ideological fantasies are best enjoyed on full stomachs. The veneer of civilization is very thin.
    one of the main reasons food is transported so far is fad diets, eat berries from the other side of the world they will make you healthy they may in one test have been slightly better than your local berries, meanwhile we will send your local berries around the world touting the health benefits of them to those who live there.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011