Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Do frogs eat honeybees?

13K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  shannonswyatt 
#1 · (Edited)
Checked my hives last night and found a frog sitting outside the entrance to one of the hives watching the bees. The bees have been bearding some lately because of the hot weather so there were quite a few of them gathered around the entrance. It wasn't a toad but it was almost as big, really light grey (almost white), and slick. It was some type of tree frog because it climbed up the waist high table the beehive sits on. I didn't see the frog eat any bees but I suspect that it was picking them off. Anyone ever seen a frog eating bees?

#3 ·
Could it have been more tan than grey? Eastern woodlands have a frog with toad-like habits called the wood frog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_frog

Frogs in general will eat anything of the right size that moves. I doubt they could resist a bee. Once, anyway. And the urge to eat small things that move is so strong that they have difficulty not doing it even if the food disagrees with them. There are stories circulating about frogs eating BBs rolled in front of them until they can no longer hop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.