Default Start OH on foundation or with established comb/brood?

Okay so I did order bees for my OH and they will be here in a few days -- my question is, can I just 'load' them in onto rite cell wax coated plastic foundation frames ( six ) --

OR --

Would it be much better to just force myself to be patient and start them in a hive, and THEN transfer them in? I am really eager to watch my girls but I don't want to mess this up by putting them in somewhere they might abscond, etc.

On the other hand, I don't want them orientated to the apiary here -- its close, and its the only one I have -- they need to be ready to call the OH home. This is an outside OH rigged to a house window.

If I put them in right off ------I'm going to use the great idea I saw here of putting in the QC and then letting them traipse in!

Since they will be here in a few days or less I am really anxious to know whats best to do.
    Last edited by Annabee; 05-14-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Default Re: Start OH on foundation or with established comb/brood?

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm getting a little nervous since I am really not sure what to do .. and they could be here as early as tomorrow apparently, but more likely Fri or Sat ... thanks in advance .. impatient me wants to just have them start in the OH, but I don't want to make a mistake ...

I'll take a stab at getting you an answer here.

Whether or not you use RiteCell or go Foundationless is a personal choice to begin with. The bees can make very beautiful comb in either case. IF you plan to watch them allot, you actually may want them to draw it on their own.

Using RiteCell foundation will keep the combs strong from the very start, but if you allow them to do it all the combs will be a little more fragile to begin with.

Starting your bees in a standard hive v/s in the OH to begin with.

Basically in my opinion it would be less stressful on the bees if your intentions is to have them in the OH permanently to put them there in the beginning.

I hope this helps you some..
    Thomas Bartram - Since 2013, 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

That really does help, I appreciate the advice .... I really do want to do this right but boy am I excited to have them in this OH so I can watch them!

I'm going to use a bit of LGO on the outside to try to make it more appealing to them to stay in !

Most ideas have their pros and cons. If you put in a frame of brood, a frame of honey and shake in a lot of extra bees (twice what you want to make up for drift) they will raise a queen and you get to watch. They will dwindle quite a bit on the way so you may want to give them another frame of brood with adhering bees about 10 days after you set it up to keep them going.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks MB, I appreciate the insight on that!

I was kind of toying with that idea, honestly ...there's also a lot to be said for the comb already being drawn, as far as not getting too much burr when they draw it in the OH --- having it already drawn might go a long ways to combating that. Plus them raising their own queen is something I've always wanted to see!

Might make myself be patient and do it this way!

I usually transfer a frame of brood and bees , with or without a queen into my ob, hive. I also will have one or more frames in the ob. hive that are foundationless. It is very educational to have the bees make a queen and fill in the empty frames.
    Charlie
    12 hives - 5 years (also had 7 hives in early 1970's) T as needed - zone 6

I would expect that a package installed directly into an OH without any comb or brood would be likely to abscond. I would probably put them in a nuc with the entrance as close as possible to where the OH entrance will be. When you transfer them they will find the new hole if you competely remove the old box. Too late now I guess. What did you do?
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b