Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can someone explain to me how the bars in a Warre work?

Ok, my first post on this website/forum as I've been keeping up with other Warre information, etc. on Biobees.com and the Yahoo group dedicated to Warre's. Biobees.com forum dedicated to Warre's is loaded with information, easier to navigate than the Yahoo group, IMO. I'm running two Warre's here in Houston since May last year when I hived a package into my first Warre. Second Warre was started with a swarm caught at work (I work at an airport).
    @WBVC---inspection can be more difficult with a Warre. If the inspector were to insist on seeing the entire comb, you'd have to first cut the comb loose from the sidewall of the box. A knife is made for this, but I'd have to do some looking to find the web link. Basically a sharp blade attached to a long, skinny rod that you send down between the combs, turn 90deg and pull upwards to cut the side comb loose from the box wall. Then lift out the comb via the top bar as though it were coming out of a TBH.
    @endurider---Sometimes when separating boxes you do have to pass a wire btwn boxes if the comb has been built down to the top bars of the box below. Other times once the box has been loosened from the one below, a twist of the box being removed will break the comb free.
    @suzyq---a hive lift makes it so much easier to deal with a heavy hive when nadiring boxes. I'll see if I can find a link from David Heaf's website where he describes thier use and has a link to various examples. Google might help too. I gotta go as I have an airplane inbound that needs my attention.

I am kind of embarrassed to say that with my thriving Warre hive I have never done a full inspection. Watching through the back windows I have seen larva and brood so I was more than happy to let them do their thing but now that they swarmed (they were packed pretty tight even with 4 boxes on which they just started pulling comb) I feel in a couple weeks I will need to venture in and check for eggs and brood hoping to see the virgin queen mated. Never gave it much thought about comb being stuck to the bottom slots so I went ahead and ordered piano wire off ebay just in case I need it. My struggling hive I've checked on several occasions and they didn't have comb attached to either the side or the bottom slots only slightly to the glass. I have looked into hive lifts and hope to get a friend to build me one over the winter. My husband held the hive up while I put the 4th one on the bottom and said he won't do that again and he's pretty strong! lol

Got my broken airplane out of town and another chance to look online. Here's the link I was talking about from biobees.com regarding a hive lift---http://warre.biobees.com/lift.htm. Take a look at the pictures and it should give you a rough idea on how to pursue building a lift. My brother welded one together for me after I gave him this link and he looked at the pictures. Having the lift makes it so easy to nadir boxes and lift the hive to remove the bottom board to do inspections from below to see whats going on inside.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12