Thread: Lone Queen?

Default Lone Queen?

I'm new to the forum and think I have a situation here that is pretty strange.... Anyone ever have no one in the hive but a queen? I cracked my only hive today for a check after what looked like a swarming the other day to find only a healthy queen and a maybe four dazed workers. No brood, no eggs and no company. Any ideas what may have gone so wrong with my lone little hive? I greatly appreciate any insight that can be offered. So bizarre I had to reach out and see if this is at all common.

Default Re: Lone Queen?

Were there dead bees on BB or on the ground near hive? Pesticides? Absconded? Were they from a nuc, package, over wintered ? Need more details to help.

Thanks Clayton,
    There were dead bees a week ago when I did initial spring clean, So they were overwintered and as for pesticides I do not use them, but this is my first spring in a new neighbourhood. I know it's not much to go on but thanks again,
    John

>Anyone ever have no one in the hive but a queen?

With a new package that decides to move next door... too often...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I had that happen early this spring, I opened a nuc and had mountain camp on top, there she was on top of the sugar red dot and all with about 4 or 5 bees, Had to take a picture, I caged her and stole a few frames of brood from another nuc and installed her, that nuc is booming now. Makes ya scratch your head,What the ,,,,,,,,,,Pete

Maybe the grass is greener on the other side.
    I thought bees are very loyal to their queen. But they are very unpredictable
    and will move into another hive for better winter survival. A strong hive will accept foragers from another
    hive at any day. If you have a double queen hive to overwinter with then one side will have more bees than the other out of winter.
    I think the queen with stronger pheromone has something to do with this rare but strange phenomenon.
    Gratefulness is the key to a happy lifeIf we are not grateful then we will not be happy since we always want something +

>I thought bees are very loyal to their queen.

Bees are loyal to whoever provides the most QMP...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF