Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Robbing

895 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rumeye 
#1 ·
So I had 1 out of three hives make it through our brutal winter that woulnd't end. So I have been letting the wintered hive rob out the 2 dead outs figuring it's syrup honey from fall feeding so why not. Question is picking up 2 nucs this weekend putting in the 2 deadouts Should i leave my 3/8 reducer on them so there won't be any robbing ? What should I do ? Did I screw up by letting them rob out the deadouts ? Wintered hive going like heck bringing in pollen like crazy. Thinking about splitting wintered hive also. First year wintering one so I am happy about that. Any suggestions ?

#2 ·
I'm never crazy about leaving a dead out in place and letting it get robbed out. I prefer to feed the frames directly into a colony or storing the honey elsewhere. Another concern I have is the deadout attracting wax moths and the damage they do. Nonetheless, I would now reduce the entrance on the nuc regardless and let them settle in. Open it up when all is sorted out. I'd probably also do that split if your wintered hive is strong enough. Reduce those entrances too.

#3 ·
Thanks Ravenseye I already have the entrances reduced to 1 bee width. Should I pull the frames that have honey in them now before I get the nucs then add them back a little at a time ? I haven't been in the deadouts for a couple weeks there was probably 4 or 5 frames of honey in each deadout it may be all gone now if it is maybe shut down entrances on deadouts til I put nucs in this weekend ? Also going to move those two hives about 10 feet that might help with robbing ?

#4 ·
I don't think it would hurt to get inside those deadouts now, clean them up a bit, pull the honey (if there's any left) and leave them buttoned up between now and when your nucs arrive. It might help reduce the robbing attempts and give a little break to the new colonies when they arrive. A strong nuc with a reduced entrance can probably handle themselves just fine. Hope for a flow soon and the robbing attempts might go down a lot or away completely. No matter what, keep an eye on the new colonies for a while after you get them. Should be fine. And yes, you can feed the honey back later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.