Default Mold inside inner cover and top of frames

Hi there. Got two hives that installed from packages two weeks ago. Both hives are doing great! Capped brood and honey, eating well from top feeders, and pollen patties.

Noticed slight mold on inner cover facing down and specs of mold on top of 2-3 frames. How do I treat for this? Do I slightly open the hive for ventilation?

Adam from Colorado

Default Re: Mold inside inner cover and top of frames

Shim the inner cover with a popsicle stick, evaporation from the syrup is causing the mold. if bees entering from the top are not a problem, you can go more

Quote Originally Posted by Adamandeverest View Post
    ... mold on inner cover facing down and specs of mold on top of 2-3 frames. How do I treat for this? ...
    Apparently, the inner cover is the coldest place in your hive.
    Why not the bottom board in the vicinity of the entrance?

To kill the mold, wash the inner cover with a strong bleach solution. Scrape the top of the frames with your hive tool and wipe them down with a rag damp with the bleach. Take steps to improve ventilation, but mildew will form anywhere conditions are good for it's growth (damp), even on surfaces completely exposed to fresh air.
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic

You also need to vent it a bit more so the moisture has a place to go.

You can staple a half thymol strip to the right and left wall in your hive. The fumes will kill the mold spores and the same time it also kills the mites, even in closed cells. If you put thymol in your syrup, there is no way that mold grow in it or the syrup starts fermenting. But you have to store it on a dark place, UV light from the sun destroyed tymol in a short time. If you put thymol in syrup and the bees feed it to the brood, you will never find a mite in this cells. I don't know why, I clean out a whole frame with drone brood after the spring feeding with this syrup mix and could not find a single mite in it. If you have thymol in your winter feeding, it kills not only the active part from both kind of nosema like fumidil -b, it also kills the spores.