Question finding queens / moving to bottom brood box

will a queen move to the box were her eggs are at. i need to move things around in the 2 deeps. i cant find the queen but there is eggs. i want to get some empty frames to the bottom so she will have more room to lay eggs. and i dont want to mess things up for her. what to do ???

Default Re: finding queens / moving to bottom brood box

If you find comb with eggs the queen was in that box 3 days ago laying. Queens will move up into empty comb to lay easily, the problem comes in getting her to move down into lower boxes to lay. If the queen has brood in both deep hive bodies she will move back and forth with no help from the beekeeper, if she only has brood in the upper, then often the beekeeper must reverse boxes, to place the empty cells above her. If the weight of the deep bodies are more than you are used to handling, move frames between the hive bodies.

Remember, if you move frames of brood or empty comb, maintain the brood nest configuration. If it is cold, do not spread frames of brood by putting empty frames between them. Keep the frames of brood together with the frames of empty cells to the side. If all of the cells become full of brood or food stores, then add supers of empty comb if you have them. If you have no drawn comb, then you must make do with foundation.
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic

so i can put the eggs to the bottom box with or with out seen the queen and leave all empty frames on the top box and she will find the eggs and stay there

Yes, she will find the frames with brood and eggs in them in the bottom box. She will not stay in the bottom when she lays in all of the empty cell available there, she will search for places to lay. If the only empty cells are all in the upper box she will move there and begin to lay. As the sealed brood emerges she will reuse those cells for brood, and she will be moving back and forth between boxes. The house bees clean and prepare the cells for use and the queen smell the odor of brood or clean cells and she searches there for a place to lay.

Often on these forums the term "empty frames" is used to mean frames with no foundation or comb in them. It is best if you are specific as to whether you are moving frames of comb with empty cells, or if you are actually moving frames with no comb or foundation. I have assumed you were moving frames of comb with empty cells which is what most beekeepers mean when they say empty frames.
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic

>will a queen move to the box were her eggs are at.

Odds are she is already in that box... but yes she will find them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

my queens also seem to stay/lay in the upper box of a two-deep configuration. I assumed that's where they want to be. is there a reason I should reverse the boxes or will they just go back to the top box anyway?