Default I really like this song by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds

I really like this song by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds. There is something about his music that moves me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GWsdqCYvgw

http://youtu.be/1GWsdqCYvgw

Default Re: I really like this song by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds

have you listened to the tindersticks? i think it's nick caves guitarists band. i got their cd as a wedding present long ago.

Cool, Thanks, I'm checking them out now on you tube concert footage. What I heard so far is good.

Justin, have you heard this band. The local music store recommended them to me so I got a used copy of this disc. I like it.

http://youtu.be/QNGdxiXjAjE

There is a lot of Jim Morrison in Nick Cave's music.
    Excellent song.

That's subjective! Sorry, couldn't wait for it to end.
    Regards, Barry

Please add a link to a song that you like Barry. I am all ears. I love music so the internet is great for hearing new tunes.

Here's a different one.

http://youtu.be/Su_vUQsHiWk

I'm sorry, but my momma taught me that in cases like this to say nothing at all. (well I almost said nothing at all)

Post a song that you like Greg

Hmmmm. Interesting, but not something I could listen to over and over. Or something I'd want to play while driving down the highway on a beautiful day. It would be great if you were in one of those little dive bars in a basement at midnight on a rainy Thursday nursing a whiskey while the band played in the corner and everyone was wearing shades and no one smiled because their lover just left them.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

that album sounds good. reminds me of velvet underground stuff. also mazzy star. i've been listening to a guy named dan reeder a lot. he's nuts but kind of refreshing. i'm taking banjo lessons so i've been stuck in that kind of music for a while. try built to spill or yo la tengo. they are good treble bands.

Quote Originally Posted by virginiawolf View Post
    Post a song that you like Greg
    How about one of our family's favorite singers.
    http://youtu.be/9HYWCVZG6KQ

Quote Originally Posted by virginiawolf View Post
    Please add a link to a song that you like Barry.
    Being a trained musician myself, I prefer listening to other trained artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6fj29LPAVw

SV: I have seen you play several times and I notice how much you love it when children are in the audience. You encourage it. What are your thoughts regarding children and music?
    CB: Well, it’s one thing that I can talk about non-stop. I don’t have any kids of my own. I have nieces and nephews and I have a great amount of concern for what’s happening in our society with kids. Parents are under so much pressure these days, not only to do their job and keep the income coming into the family, but to keep their kids constantly entertained. Parents are running their kids ragged from ballet to soccer to skiing to whatever.

I remember having a discussion with Jeff Lorber, who I think is one of the most, not only talented, but intellectually cool guys that I’ve met in the music industry. He and I were having a candid discussion about when we were growing up. We had many, many hours a day to do nothing. The main staple of my childhood was the phrase I’m going outside to play. It’s sad. I think it would be fun to do a little interview process with a Spielberg or anyone who is highly creative and ask what made you creative. What made you that way? I think that not having a bunch of options, and actually having to make up things in your brain, to daydream, to do nothing. Or, in the case of myself or Jeff Lorber, to practice your instrument. Because there was nothing going on in Oregon, where I grew up, I would just literally just sit there hour after hour after hour and play my instrument. And that’s what led me to be sitting here speaking with you!

By the time a young kid gets to be the age of 16 or 17, if they’re interested in music, it’s over. The bad news is it’s over. I go out to talk to kids at high schools and colleges all the time, and I say your decision to become a musician is from ages 9 – 14. You can be a rock musician and be older, but if you want to be a ballet dancer, or a violinist, or a drummer, or a trumpet player, you’ve got to be really dedicated as a young kid, and know in your gut that you’re in it for the long haul. That element can be brought on… you can get passion by a few things. Seeing live music and seeing live musicians and being enamored with musicians are the things that will light that initial fire, and then obviously practice.

I remember going to see Doc Severinsen as a kid, and I got to go backstage and he was so nice. Even took a picture with me. I sent Chuck Mangione a letter when I was a kid in junior high school. And he wrote back to me, a handwritten letter. I invited Chuck Mangione to dinner at my Italian grandmother’s house… just silly stuff. And this guy who’s got a busy schedule, met me and thanked my grandmother for the invitation. I always remember stuff like that, and now when young trumpet players write to me, I try to get back to them. I try to listen to demo tapes and always encourage young musicians to take the leap of faith and play instruments. That stuff with the internet and American Idol is being lost, because the fans of American Idol, they’re not necessarily interested in practicing. They want to go from 0-60 overnight. They want to be pop stars overnight and jazz music, saxophone and trumpet, is not about overnight. It’s about many, many years, and then maybe you become something. People say, “What’s it like to be an overnight sensation?” and I say, "First of all, I am 42 and secondly, this overnight has been long coming!!" (both laughing)

SV: And also the schools are hindering a lot of kids with budget cuts. Music departments or music classes just aren’t what they were when we were kids.
    CB: Absolutely right. You are so right on the nose. Music programs are somehow being confused with cheerleading for football teams. Marching band is not the greatest thing for music. Music is music. Cheerleading for football teams in the middle of winter in Oregon, with kids with braces and their mouthpieces bouncing up and down on these little faces, that’s something else. I’m mainly interested with getting kids excited about music and musicians and sitting there watching Yo-Yo Ma playing cello and thinking, "Oh my God, my life has changed." That’s what excites me, and that’s why I keep trying to get parents to leave the babysitter at home and bring the kids out and see live music.

http://www.smoothviews.com/interview...sbotti0305.htm
    Regards, Barry

Postmodern Jukebox has become one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQJrM09jbU
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Nice! I like the additions. This is my brothers band. I shot and made the video. I think it's a David Byrne cover but I'm not sure.
    The drummer is a beekeeper and we have worked bees together a bunch of times. Lots of great guys in this band Several of my close friends are in the video

http://youtu.be/nEd8Mb54WQI

Here's another one that a friend created that I find to be a classic.

http://youtu.be/sZ7os01n6e8

Please post some more folks.
    Last edited by virginiawolf; 05-18-2014 at 10:14 PM.

avett brothers, modest mouse, and daniel lanois. i really like the first song in this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjgVzy7wr_s

Very Nice!! That banjo sounds sweet!!! Mastertone. I like Modest Mouse also. I checked out Daniel Lanois - Still Water (1989) on you tube. I like him and his band. Thank You for sharing that!!

check out a list of who daniel lanois has produced music for. he's impressive there as well.

Cool I will Thanks!!