Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: beekeeper pay scale?

I'm still small scale. What I have seen is from experience as an employee. I give my volunteers 1/10th my gross for overall labor and half my pay for removals ($15-50 depending on the job).

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    So what do you pay the bee workers that you employ?
    I pay 20$ per hour cash for day labor. I wouldn't expect a decsent worker to show up for less.

Mine do. I can pay them $30 per hour and get the same work, but then I cut back on my workers because I cant afford the help, and cut back on my business because I cant get my work done... Got to keep the pay point where you find good work and keep the business profitable and growing.
    General labour is general labour, experienced labour is experienced labour. Both different pay grades, both contribute differently in the business.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Verick369 View Post
    You guys talk about this pay like it is good money. Here in California rent is $1400 a month for a decent apartment. Only people you can get for under $15 an hour are guys who are still living with mom and dad. Pay people better and suddenly they can get their own place, and have bills that need paying. Suddenly you get them in every day and working hard, as opposed to working for extra spending money because they can't afford any big purchases at $10-12. And all this is ignoring the fact that a lot of these people can get a $10-12 job elsewhere that pays normal overtime pay, and let's them work a normal 40 hour week. If you pay the minimum for workers you are going to get tired, frustrated, bottom of the barrel kind of guys.
    So here is the real deal on all that. People get paid what people get paid. If they didn't want to work then they will go work elsewhere. I know beekeepers that pay their folks $150.00 a day every day regardless of the length of the day they are working. In other words it might be an easy day of 6 hours worth of feeding or it could be a grueling day of pulling honey from 8am till 7pm and loading bees and honey on a semi that night for moving them. You will find that more the norm that someone getting paid $80,000 annually as a general laborer putting on boxes and pulling boxes of honey. It's simple business, nothing more. Would you expect to work at McDonald's or Wendy's cooking burgers and expect to buy a $400,000 house and $60,000 car and support your spouse and kids on it?

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    Would you expect to work at McDonald's or Wendy's cooking burgers and expect to buy a $400,000 house and $60,000 car and support your spouse and kids on it?
    expect that...entitled to it!
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Would you expect to work at McDonald's or Wendy's cooking burgers and expect to buy a $400,000 house and $60,000 car and support your spouse and kids on it?
    I don't work for myself and expect to buy a $400,000.00 house or a $60,000.00 car, unless that $60,000.00 car is a Freightliner w/ a sleeper. And neither does anyone working at McDonald's or Wendy's or anyone working for a beekeeper. A living wage is not unreasonable to expect. Not being able to pay someone something somewhat reasonable regularly is one of the things which keeps me from hiring someone to work for me even on a part time basis.

If $10.00/hr for a laborer or $15.00/hr for someone experienced and capable isn't enough of an enticement maybe that plus meals and lodging is. And if not, I'll just have to work more hours and more days to get the job done.

I had help for a cpl days in SC and NC earlier this Spring. I paid my help $100.00 for each day. He declined that much, but I insisted. Because he helped spur me on to getting the job done, when I might have quit earlier or the semi would not have gotten loaded as quickly.

I tip waitstaff well too, imo. Good service deserves recognition.

Brian, I don't know if you served well, but I recognize that you did and honor you for doing so.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

The $400,000 dollar house and the $60,000 dollar house are relative. A living wage is the right answer. Can the person you have working for you live and support themselves on the wage you are paying? If the answer is no, you are not paying enough. I don't want to enslave anyone to enrich myself.
    Cheap farm labor is just modern slavery.

Sign me up. I demand $70.00 an hour as I want my $400,000.00 house. Let me know when to come work for you.

Sign me up. I demand $70.00 an hour as I want my $400,000.00 house. Let me know when to come work for you.
    Work???....just send my payroll check to me, it would be easier if I didn't have to waste time showing up everyday. Please sent it early because I have bills to pay.......

And if you pay me more I will try harder!

$80,000.00/yr? That's $266.00 to $320.00/day. How many beekeepers do you know who pay that much?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by JodieToadie View Post
    I don't think you understand what slavery actually is. Nobody is forcing my local guys to work here for $12-$15/hr. To most of them the job is a matter of convenience. Nobody is forcing any foreigners to work here in Canada. I have a list of 20 applicants on my waiting list... And I'm not hiring foreigners yet! Lol. The guys I have had work here as a temporary placement seen this job as an opportunity.

Right now I'm raising a family of 5 on less than we pay our full time farm workers, $16.50 per hour...
    The wants vs needs of people pervert the whole standard of living equation.

We let the Free Market determine what we pay for someone's labor. Our labor rate ranges from $10 to $15 and it depends on what that person can contribute to the profit line. You are not going to get rich working for someone else. Learn a skill, make the financial investment required, take that risks, and start your own business. If my employee gets to live in a $400,000 house, then I should be living in a $2 million house (I'm Not).
    If there is a minimum wage for workers, there should be minimum wage for the owner of the business...now who's going to pay for that?
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com

The free market determines the labor rate? Funny I thought the illegals determined that. I cannot imagine that the labor rate would be that low if illegals were out of the picture. I think that if you pay more you get more.
    More loyalty,
    More focus,
    More honesty,
    More satisfaction in knowing you are helping someone else.

What is that price point Jodie? What specific $$$ value buys an employer more loyalty focus and honesty? Is it not you who decides the level of pay ?That decision is based on market conditions every way you look at it.

I can set my offering wage at $8/hr and nobody would apply. I set it at $12-$15/ hr and I have a line up of guys wanting to work. Is it my obligation to society to increase that offered wage to $20?, $30? Am I operating my business to increase someone else's standard of living?
    Absolutely not...

I think what really needs to happen is all the folks that believe we are encouraging modern slavery should put their money where their mouth is and hire a couple of people at $25.00 an hour for medial tasks for 1 year. I bet that would make them see the light a little bit.

The $400,000 dollar house and the $60,000 dollar house are relative. A living wage is the right answer. Can the person you have working for you live and support themselves on the wage you are paying? If the answer is no, you are not paying enough. I don't want to enslave anyone to enrich myself.
    How many people do you hire?

Why don't you hire more?

How much do you pay them?

Why don't you pay them more?

The free market determines the labor rate? Funny I thought the illegals determined that. I cannot imagine that the labor rate would be that low if illegals were out of the picture. I think that if you pay more you get more.
    More loyalty,
    More focus,
    More honesty,
    Yes the Free Market determines the rate, both what I receive from my customers and what I pay out.

Illegals are people Too!

So, you THINK that money can buy:
    More loyalty,
    More focus,
    More honesty,

WOW! I have some $50.00 a pound honey I can sell you! Just think how satisfied you will be in knowing you helped me buy a new bass boat.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast