Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: beekeeper pay scale?

Go ahead and cut your employees pay in half and you will find out what a good motivator it was.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    That's a pretty good opinion. I don't really find it true as I know people who held $38.00 an hour job and still robbed the employer. It sounds plausible, just not factual.
    the persons character is an issue here as well. Love of Money + a bad character= thief

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Believe it or not, money is a poor motivator. Money won't make an unhappy employee happy, satisfied in their work.
    Money is a huge factor in motivating many (most?) people, but not the only factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Here come the foreign workers! Nobody in Canada want to work bees for $11.50 per hour.
    The average pay for a factory worker is $15.00. He/she won't get stung, works an 8 hour day, doesn't usually break a sweat.
    Yes, money motivates. I lasted 3 years working for other people, right after high school, before going on my own. The big motivation for me was being able to move beyond being the laborer and advancing myself into all aspects of the business. The financial reward didn't come till years down the road.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-08-2014 at 07:22 AM.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Go ahead and cut your employees pay in half and you will find out what a good motivator it was.
    I have paid for a full days labor as little as 2 gallons of honey and the employee was enthusiastic to get it and handed back one gallon stating 1 gallon is more than enough pay for the day of pulling deeps full of honey all day long. Though I agree pay is a motivator in this day and time in this country you have alot of people out of work, so the buck goes further.

Is it Ok to have a felon working for you? Now I know I am treading on tailgater waters here but shouldn't we give ex-cons a second chance? how many factories will hire ex-cons. Many of them become OTR drivers or used car salemans. Don't we as a society owe it to them to give them a second chance? Ok no I really don't feel we owe them anything. However it is a great resource for in-expensive labor. Do you have to keep an eye on them? Yep! Treat them better than the prison system did and let them go when they fall into their old tactics.

I realize the original question is from the point of view of the employee... but from the point of view of someone who has been a foreman, I love to get a chance to see what someone is worth and then pay them what they are worth. Here we can call the Nebraska Job Service and they send some temporary people out at minimum wage. Most are not worth much and don't last a day (usually their choice when they find out they are actually expected to work) but once in a while you get a gem. Those you want to hire and pay well enough to keep them. A lazy man is LESS than worthless. A hard worker and a smart worker are difficult enough to find you should try to hang on to them. Someone who not only works hard but anticipates the next move and is ready for it and can get in a rhythm where they are productive is what you want to find.

You can argue that pay isn't the only motivator, and that is somewhat true, but there is only one reason most people show up to work and that is pay. Yes, we all like to feel like we are accomplishing something and we like to feel appreciated and productive and competent, but we only show up so we can feed the family and pay the rent, otherwise we would be doing something for ourselves.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Haraga, these temporary foreign workers are extremely good workers. Manitoba uses a lot of these workers to fill vacancy and without them the jobs would go unfilled... Mostly because the oil fields are pulling our work force away. There has to be workers brought in to fill $11-15 per hour jobs otherwise Canada cant complete with US and other foreign businesses. A good example of this is here in the meat cutting industry.

Yes there are some that bend the rules in hiring and dont look as hard for domestic help. But if that domestic worker TRIES hard enough, he/she will get that job

I have structured my business to work around hiring local school kids and university kids. Works very well for me.
    Last edited by Ian; 05-08-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

No, give them a $5.00 or $10.00 per hour raise and you will see what I mean. See if you get an equivalent bump in production.

If money is such a good motivator, why, when you pay someone at the end of the day, rather than at the end of the week, do so many not show up the next day? If you want to motivate someone w/ money hold on to it until you don't need them.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Back to the employee point of view, and that of an employee who is looking for the opportunity to learn about the commercial side of beekeeping and whether he might choose to eventually go into business for himself...

Let's assume that the person has a few years of backyard beekeeping and is comfortable around the bees. Also assume that the person is physically able to do the job and has a modicum of skill when it comes to keeping equipment operational. Overall the person is an above average employee.

BUT, his motivation is not the money, but the experience of finding out the business end of beekeeping along with the peculiarities of commercial beekeeping and whether he's up to it. Let's also assume that he's been a Beesource member for several years and is familiar with names like Bush, Palmer, Oliver, Jarrett, Lyon, Berninghausen, Lauri, Sheri, etc. and may well have paid money to hear them speak or read their articles.

Let's also assume that the beekeeper is willing to treat the person as a student as well as a hired laborer.

I contend that the position then becomes more than that of a laborer and that it changes the wage. I may have a totally different take on what the motivation and benefits to the person looking for that position are, but I can't help but think that if I were a young person who was serious about becoming a commercial beek that I'd willingly pay for the opportunity to spend a season or two working under the direction of certain beekeepers.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

That may well be so Barry, we all pay for our education one way or another. But, were I employing people to work bees w/ me I would want to have a person such as one you describe on my payroll just to cover my butt. I imagine. What about you Jim Lyon or Keith Jarret or Michael Palmer? Michael has interns, so maybe he does things differently regarding them. How does interning work Michael?
    Mark Berninghausen

why not Barry. Isn't that just what the fat beeman does in Ga?

No, give them a $5.00 or $10.00 per hour raise and you will see what I mean. See if you get an equivalent bump in production.

If money is such a good motivator, why, when you pay someone at the end of the day, rather than at the end of the week, do so many not show up the next day? If you want to motivate someone w/ money hold on to it until you don't need them.
    A lack of character or more pay elsewhere, or just not liking the work, or booze, etc. Is why they don't show up. The list goes on. But,
    You hire for the day, they work for the day, you pay for the day's work. Simple as that. Want them longer term, hire them longer term.
    To coerce someone by holding onto their money, that they worked for and are entitled to receive, will get you in trouble around here every time, guaranteed.

If someone is not happy in their work, money won't fix that. It may keep them showing up, but is that the kind of worker you want? That said, if you pay well you just might attract the kind of person you want.
    Mark Berninghausen

If someone is not happy in their work, money won't fix that. It may keep them showing up, but is that the kind of worker you want? That said, if you pay well you just might attract the kind of person you want.
    What $$$ point is that in your op sqkcrk. My $$$ point so far is $12 starting, $15 experienced. I have not heard of any wages paid higher than that round here.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

experienced is a broad term. If you expect someone to really know what they are doing you had better pay them a lot more than 15.
    As Jim said earlier salary is the only way to go if you really need help.
    Its like a team and you need good players if you want to win. We have a good team and they get payed well.
    As for extracting and bottling help its $12-$14.

One guy that I work for from time to time pays $100.00 per day and buys breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Unless we get done early and he leaves for home. That could come to $10.00/hr or $12.50/hr, plus meals, depending on the day. I enjoy working for him and he w/ me in his hives. Mutually agreeable. But that isn't a regular job.

Another guy I have worked for pays $15.00/hr, by check, does all the IRS stuff too.

These are two guys I work w/ when I have the time to enjoy working w/ someone else other than myself.
    Mark Berninghausen

So as employers in Apiary Industries what do we expect from our employees?

I certainly don't expect but do welcome hobbyist and sideline beekeepers though this comes with the stipulation of "do it my way". These folks generally are paid better than a box hauler/puller as long as they prove themselves to have knowlede of beekeeping and can think for themselves with little guidance from me. I like to pay them over $500.00 a day (daily salary as we tend to get up at 630 am and work well past midnight) so lets call it 16 hour days, their average hourly pay will be there of $35.00 an hour, but only need them 3 weeks out of the year. The rest of the time all I need is the box hauler/puller. Personally I think $10.00 an hour of more than adequate for the typical grunt laborer.
    Last edited by BMAC; 05-09-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: spelling

$500.00/day? Shoot. If I had known that when you were passing through SC I would have been tempted to go to GA w/ you. Do you carry extra firearms for your help? If the boss is armed shouldn't the rest of the crew be armed too?
    Mark Berninghausen

You guys talk about this pay like it is good money. Here in California rent is $1400 a month for a decent apartment. Only people you can get for under $15 an hour are guys who are still living with mom and dad. Pay people better and suddenly they can get their own place, and have bills that need paying. Suddenly you get them in every day and working hard, as opposed to working for extra spending money because they can't afford any big purchases at $10-12. And all this is ignoring the fact that a lot of these people can get a $10-12 job elsewhere that pays normal overtime pay, and let's them work a normal 40 hour week. If you pay the minimum for workers you are going to get tired, frustrated, bottom of the barrel kind of guys.
    Last edited by Verick369; 05-20-2014 at 04:19 PM.

So what do you pay the bee workers that you employ?
    Mark Berninghausen

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast