Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: beekeeper pay scale?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    The OP indicated he had 5 years experience with 3-4 hives.
    But will he show up? On time? Can he work? And show up the next day? Not call in sick? Not show up because he got picked up driving drunk? Or has to stay home w/ the kids because his Mother-in-law is in the hospital? Or was it his Wife?

Showing up is half the job. Those who know what I mean, know what I mean. If ya don't, no amount of explainin' will make a difference.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Yeah, Chillardbee, I would agree that it's not a beginner class we're talking about. The OP indicated he had 5 years experience with 3-4 hives.
    I know a guy with 4 colonies and 10 years experience with those 4 hives that can still use a beginner beekeeping class.

Like an old boss of mine used to say - "Is that 20 years experience or 1 year experience 20 times."
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

>Showing up is half the job.

I've been a foreman several times in the construction business. I was always baffled by the excuses. We all have a flat tire or a dead battery once in a while. Frankly I don't care what your reasons are, if you are rarely late, I don't care why and you are still valuable. If you are always late, I don't care why. Reality is I need the guy who is rarely late, not the guy who is always late but has an excuse... excuses don't help me get the work done...

I'm also surprised by the guy who works a day or two when the work is brutal because of the heat, the work etc. and then doesn't ever come back, but also doesn't bother to collect the pay they have coming... I guess they are too ashamed of not coming back?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >Showing up is half the job.

Frankly I don't care what your reasons are, if you are rarely late, I don't care why and you are still valuable. If you are always late, I don't care why. Reality is I need the guy who is rarely late, not the guy who is always late but has an excuse... excuses don't help me get the work done...
    good comment
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

My neighbor has trucks that haul crude oil. His base pay is 30$ an hour plus travel pay, holiday pay etc etc. they start at 7 am 365 days a year. One of the drivers there has grossed over 100k for the last three years. He is not at the top of the pay scale. The owner shows up at the shop no later than 6:40 am 365 days a year. There are always drivers that beat him there. It comes down to this, if you pay an employee enough money, they will never be late and they will never steal from you. If you starve them they will cheat you every time.
    Last edited by Haraga; 05-07-2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

good and cheap won't be fast
    cheap and fast won't be good
    good and fast won't be cheap

good, cheap, fast: pick only two.
    Applies to most everything, including workers.

Yeah, Chillardbee, I would agree that it's not a beginner class we're talking about. The OP indicated he had 5 years experience with 3-4 hives.
    I may be an example of that. Before I got a job with a commercial beekeeper I was a bee obsessed hobbyist for 3 years building up to around a dozen hives. All my spare time was spent doing bees, or thinking about them. I thought I was pretty smart & new it all, I was a teenager & wanted to be a commercial beekeeper.

When I started the commercial job it was a rude surprise. I discovered my boss & co workers could accomplish in minutes, or less, what may have taken me an hour when I had a few hives, and they would do it better. I also had to relearn a lot of things, and realised within a few days that if I had just continued to build my own operation to a commercial size I would never, probably in my life, learned what I was learning working with pros.

Got lucky though, the beekeeper I happened to get a job with was a superb beekeeper and also saw it as his mission to make all his workers superb beekeepers he very much shared his knowledge. After I left him & worked for others I discovered not all beekeepers were like that.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Ha.... summer winter spring fall, doesn't seem to matter. The work ethic has gone right down the *%^#!@ hole.
    Flottum just told me there are 250 want adds for bee help in the Alberta Bee Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Flottum just told me there are 250 want adds for bee help in the Alberta Bee Journal.
    Here come the foreign workers! Nobody in Canada want to work bees for $11.50 per hour.

Ian, the Alberta beekeepers don't have any intentions in hiring non foreign workers.

You pay peanuts and you get monkeys. Who would be surprised that there are labor troubles if the pay is low, the hours long, and the boss is grumpy? It seems to me that there are different levels of employee. Ron Householder sounds like he has a "one-in-a-million" guy with all the skills and motivation it takes to become an independent commercial beekeeper.
    I am curious as to the motivation of the OP. Does he want to work for a commercial beekeeper, or does he ultimately want to be a commercial beekeeper? They are different things. What I think is overlooked, or taken for granted, in the work of the commercial beekeeper is mechanical ability. I can raise, and overwinter bees, but I can't fix anything.
    As the work of the commercial beekeeper involves doing things on a large scale the ability to keep mechanical things going cheaply becomes more important. That means doing it yourself.
    I regularly read Allen Dick's diary because as a retired commercial beekeeper every now and then he drops wisdom that it would take me years to get at my current level of activity. The ability of this guy to fix anything emasculates me on a weekly basis.
    I think an inherent mechanical ability is a neccessity for a commercial beekeeper. Hats off to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Ian, the Alberta beekeepers don't have any intentions in hiring non foreign workers.
    The quality of workers that comes in makes it hard to want to search for local guys.
    I have been able to stack my work force with local school kids and neighbours. Most of my staff is excellent.

Is that Canadian for "Ian, the Alberta beekeepers don't have any intentions in hiring [domestic] workers."? In other words, you have no intentions to hire Canadians?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

No. It's a polite way of saying that they have no intentions of hiring a white man.

My neighbor has trucks that haul crude oil. His base pay is 30$ an hour plus travel pay, holiday pay etc etc. they start at 7 am 365 days a year. One of the drivers there has grossed over 100k for the last three years. He is not at the top of the pay scale. The owner shows up at the shop no later than 6:40 am 365 days a year. There are always drivers that beat him there. It comes down to this, if you pay an employee enough money, they will never be late and they will never steal from you. If you starve them they will cheat you every time.
    That's a pretty good opinion. I don't really find it true as I know people who held $38.00 an hour job and still robbed the employer. It sounds plausible, just not factual.

I guess it all depends on where you are from.

Both are true. According to an article I read recently around a third of fraud against the employer was motivated by some perceived injustice and the person felt entitled to some recompense. That still leaves the other two thirds which were just because the person was dishonest regardless.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

No. It's a polite way of saying that they have no intentions of hiring a white man.
    So, "non foreign" is Canadian code talk for White Canadians? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    That's a pretty good opinion. I don't really find it true as I know people who held $38.00 an hour job and still robbed the employer. It sounds plausible, just not factual.
    Believe it or not, money is a poor motivator. Money won't make an unhappy employee happy, satisfied in their work.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast