Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: beekeeper pay scale?

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    .....and I'm thinking, there are people that pay less than $10 an hour?
    Yeah. I only pay box haulers minimum wage. I pay those who actually think on their own and give substantial contributions without holding their hands anywhere from 10 to 15 an hour.

Of course this is said with the disclaimer, I only need occassional helpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Wow I'm pretty surprised how low you guys pay I thought the US was the land of plenty!

Here the minimum wage allowed by law to be paid to an adult for any job, equates to US$12.57 per hour. That's what a totally unskilled beginner would get, someone with a year or so experience and willingness to work would get more possibly 30% more.
    Minimum wage is different in our country. US is the land of plenty. Plenty of costs!

Families have costs too, but I'll slap my own hand, minimum wage discussions are for tailgator. Over the past few years we have paid between $12 for starting inexperienced help to $18 for management level help.
    Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Wow I'm pretty surprised how low you guys pay I thought the US was the land of plenty!

Here the minimum wage allowed by law to be paid to an adult for any job, equates to US$12.57 per hour. That's what a totally unskilled beginner would get, someone with a year or so experience and willingness to work would get more possibly 30% more.
    You haven't heard? There is a fight to get the Federal Minimum Wage up to $10.10. I'm not sure what minimum wage is right now, somewhere around $7.35 or there abouts. And Agricultural Minimum Wage is less than that, if I recall correctly what I have heard.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    Yeah. I only pay box haulers minimum wage.
    Which is how much?
    Mark Berninghausen

Here's the minimum wage by state:

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/pf/state-minimum-wage/

Some localities have higher minimums.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    Families have costs too, but I'll slap my own hand, minimum wage discussions are for tailgator. Sheri
    It only counts if you delete your own entry for posting something that belongs in tailgater.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Which is how much?
    $8.00 in NY
    $7.25 in Ga

Should box haulers get paid more than minimum wage?

I'm sure not going to get a beekeeping job when I retire. My free time is worth way more than $10 per hour.

I am surprised you can find any help for the wages posted, but more power to you, if you can.

Are most employees of beekeepers actually beekeeping or is it like the manager of a McDonald's with employees working? Ian makes an excellent point. We don't pay them to be beekeepers but rather to do specific tasks like putting pickles on a burger or cooking french fries.

Common labor
    In the field of beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    Are most employees of beekeepers actually beekeeping or is it like the manager of a McDonald's with employees working? Ian makes an excellent point. We don't pay them to be beekeepers but rather to do specific tasks like putting pickles on a burger or cooking french fries.
    Exactly. Pretty much everything we do is repetitive work that can can be taught in a matter of hours......or even minutes. A commercial beekeeper is not looking for beekeeping expertise as much as they are looking for a good work ethic, a pleasing personality and the willingness to be a team player. I love the guy that steps up and doesn't step back when there is a hard job to do or doesn't flinch at the prospect of finishing a job that might last a bit beyond a normal quitting time. You need a team player not a bee expert.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Exactly. Pretty much everything we do is repetitive work that can can be taught in a matter of hours......or even minutes.
    Well now I'm a little confused. (Not a first...)

If it's been said once on here it's been said a thousand times, "If you want to become a commercial beekeeper you need to go work for one in order to learn the business...".

That seems at odds with the idea that everything can be taught in a few hours.

Now Barry, you must know that there is a difference between the work and the business. What working for a commercial beekeeper teaches one is that it's work. Work which can be demanding and unending. You can't just walk away from the job because it got dark or rain is pouring down. Some things have to be learned by doing and can't be taught.
    Mark Berninghausen

I think we're talking about two different things in the same thread Mark. (I know that's never happened before )

One is the person who wants to learn the commercial beekeeping business by first working for a going concern.

The other is the experienced beekeeper who wants only a good employee and is not interested in mentoring or training someone who will leave and go into business for themselves.

Clearly those two goals aren't going to be satisfied by those two folks trying to work together.

Perhaps the advice given to young folks who wants to learn commercial beekeeping should be amended to include the caution to work for a commercial beekeeper who is able and willing to mentor them while they're working for him or her.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    I think we're talking about two different things in the same thread Mark. (I know that's never happened before )

One is the person who wants to learn the commercial beekeeping business by first working for a going concern.

The other is the experienced beekeeper who wants only a good employee and is not interested in mentoring or training someone who will leave and go into business for themselves.

Clearly those two goals aren't going to be satisfied by those two folks trying to work together.

Perhaps the advice given to young folks who wants to learn commercial beekeeping should be amended to include the caution to work for a commercial beekeeper who is able and willing to mentor them while they're working for him or her.
    .....but Barry you learn so much over the course of a year. You get mentored on a myriad of activities through the season. You get to see what happens in each season and learn to understand why. You learn not to dawdle or fret over what happens in a single hive, but instead to be efficient with your time in a productive manner so that the larger enterprise benefits. We may be repetitive in what we do for a couple of weeks but it may be followed by the repetition of a much different activity next week. Over the course of a full season of seeing it in action ( and seeing the tangible results) a clearer understanding of commercial beekeeping emerges.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post

Someone interested, truly interested, should, if possible, work a season or two or a whole year if they can to see how much work it is and to learn a thing or two that they might not learn as well trying to figure everything out on their own. That's what one will learn, how much work it is, and whether they have what it takes to do the work.

Then they have to figure out whether they can handle the business.

I wouldn't want to work for someone who would not do some mentoring, I never have. Most beekeepers I know and have worked with/for are willing to explain the job and, when appropriate and there is time, the right time, why. It is not all just simply throw these supers on those hives. Some times it is, some times that's the job. But I sure don't want someone throwing supers on a dead or dying hive.

I agree w/ your last paragraph.
    Mark Berninghausen

It is getting increasingly rare for me to be able to find summer help willing to give the effort even when the pay is attractive. A sign of the times I guess. .
    Ha.... summer winter spring fall, doesn't seem to matter. The work ethic has gone right down the *%^#!@ hole.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

IMO, I don't think a commercial operation is the place to learn beekeeping 101. bringing a healthy knowledge of bee behavior, colony management, ect will help a fella understand what and why the boss is doing what does or more likely getting you to do what he wants...with out explaination. Beekeeping is already a tiring job let alone if you have to be a teacher as well, that woul make me grumpy, tired and grumpy.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Yeah, Chillardbee, I would agree that it's not a beginner class we're talking about. The OP indicated he had 5 years experience with 3-4 hives.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast