Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ReptiPro or Exoterra

For those holding virgin Queens in incubators how do they get fed over this time period?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Suggestion to Beepro in Sacramento: make up boxes with rows of 5-hole compartments. A 1 1/8" piece of plywood cut to fit a shelf with rows of 5 overlapping holes 7/8" diameter x 7/8" deep. Over each row of holes and separating the columns of 5-hole slots is a horizontally slotted edge to hold a #8 hardware cloth lid.

The 5-hole slots are big enough for a queen cell, a hatched queen, and a small blob of queen candy.

Jars also work for hatching queen cells. I use the little 50 ml plastic hard liquor bottles that the drunks leave along the bike path near my bee yard. I wash them out thoroughly, dry them, and burn a hole for a tapered cork in the bottom. Since I attach my queen cell cups to golf tees, they transfer easily from the cell bar to the cork, and fit into the bottle securely. Another hole is burned in the side and covered with #8 hardware cloth or screen for ventilation.

I made a little fixture for burning the holes with a heated metal tube, keeps the hole right in the center. My friend saw this and said, "You're really making a bong, aren't you?" I laughed my abdomen off. So now there's "queen bee hatching bongs".

You could also make tubular cages out of #8 hardware cloth wrapped around 2 halves of a wine cork. Make sure they're long enough for a cell and a hatched queen to walk around inside.

BTW, I'd make a CPU fan mounted at the top of the incubator with a tube to the bottom shelf to circulate the hot air and even out the temperatures.

Thanks, for sharing.
    I can imagine you are enjoying making various bee gadgets.
    Gratefulness is the key to a happy lifeIf we are not grateful then we will not be happy since we always want something +

Beepro -

WVBC - queen candy = Dri-vert brand or Nulomoline brand invert sugar + Honey-B-Healthy + honey from her own hive mixed into a marshmallow-like consistency is used for most queen feeding, mated or virgin, when caged. There are many recipes, and a small marshmallow keeps her alive in a pinch, but don't bank them for 2 months on junk food!

I expect a large pill vial could be used for a qc cage.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Yes, an excellent choice as long as the cap is secure and the QC attaches easily to the inside of the lid or to the bottom of the pill vial. Ventilation and queen candy would be nice, too.

Also, you could make a queen bank frame by drilling the right diameter holes in the bank bar. I'd use a Forstner bit just barely larger than the pill vial.

With a med vial you have to cut the end off and drill a hole on the other end to hold the qc. Then
    a #8 window screen to let air in. Releasing a virgin this way is doable.
    With the plastic hair roller you can put the qc in one end and put a sponge plug at
    the other end. The virgin should hold. Many different sizes available. I like the plastic hair roller cages better with less work.

Plastic hair rollers with sponge plugs:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gratefulness is the key to a happy lifeIf we are not grateful then we will not be happy since we always want something +

Those look like actual hair rollers... I suppose they would work for hatching, and you say less work. I'll check into it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12