Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

hive shrinking

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mathesonequip 
#1 ·
i have 1 russian extract hive--winter cluster was very small,active in early spring,and now in late april early may bees are not eating syrup and only have 1 frame honey half full( i did not harvest at all last year due to weird nectar flow)

Bees are lethargic and not much brood-2nd year for this queen,and she is still visible

hive appears to be dying

help

mike-(georgia)

mmttoox1@juno.com

ps have carniolan nuc coming in 2 weeks

#7 ·
When the temps are colder it is easier for the cluster to get syrup/sugar from directly above the cluster. Some feed with plastic bags on top of the frames with a couple of small slits cut in them. I am also from Georgia. The temps later should be enough for the girls to get out and forage. Still getting down in the 40's at night though...At times the entrance feeders cause robbing.

#9 ·
as stated mite resistance is relative. the posters main problem may be mites. the russian crosses do not build up as fast under less than favorable conditions compared to the itallians and carni's. a lot of the Russians for sale are several generations later and my experience is smaller weaker colonies if the conditions are less than perfect...miketorr are mites part of the problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.