Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Is this normal with a cutout?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  cwood6_10 
#1 ·
I did a cutout yesterday and instead of making a separate hive with them I decided I would try doing a paper combine. I was wondering if it was normal to see them boarding up on the front of the hive like you can see in the picture. I have done cut outs before but never combining with another hive.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have combined a cutout when the queen was lost or killed and it was to late in the year to make or get another queen.
They put up stores pretty quick like that.
Why two pieces of paper?

#3 ·
I meant to say bearding. Dang auto correct!!! I just put the paper there to do a combine. I put the two piece there and slit hole in it. Keeps them from starting WWIII. I checked tonight and they seem to be all in. I think I need to take the reducers off the front. I probably got over 10lbs of bees from the cut out!!! That have just tripled easy!!! I am hoping that they do good. I have an extra box because they wouldn't fit in one. I am gonna remove one box for about 2 weeks and see how fast they draw comb. Hoping to get honey out of them this year. Fingers crossed. I may also split them if I don't.

#5 ·
Just my two cents, I wouldn't remove anything, in fact I would be slapping as many supers as I could on that sucker if I had ten pounds of bees. Restricting space by removing a box may trigger a swarm instead.

#6 ·
Dj, I think I will add it in a few days. The middle box was just there so I could have room to put the on top. We are really warm here in San Antonio tx and I have a heck of a time with hive beetles. I don't want to give them to much space until they all start working. They seem to be little lethargic today when I removed the middle box and I would like to see then separate and start working before I give a super. I jus don't want the hive beetle to take over the space they haven't moved to. It should only be a couple days. I moved a frame of brood to the top box to draw them up there and added two empty ones in the bottom box. This should help with swarming also. This hive does have a knack for drawing queen though. I have made a split into 2 nucs already this year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.