Default Brood, honey cells not attached to foundation

This is a strange one. A package installed four weeks ago has been building nicely on the center four frames/foundation, just as expected. However when I pulled one of the center frames, the nearly full comb fell off as if it wasn't ever attached to the foundation. Yes, I do have fish line support lines running across all of the frames and that's always worked fine. The other frames were just fine, comb fully built, and attached to the foundation. All of the foundation is new and from the same box. To solve the immediate crisis I put the fallen comb of brood and honey in a new frame and held in place with rubber bands, much like would be done for placing feral comb into a hive.

Why would the bees build one-sided comb in withing a tiny fraction of an inch away from new foundation? And only on one side of one foundation? If I see evidence of this happening again on that foundation, clearly it will be trashed.

Default Re: Brood, honey cells not attached to foundation

How many frames do you have in the box

And are they pushed tightly together?

My first year keeping bees, I spaced the frames too far apart and had this kind of problem develop.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

There are 8 frames in an 8 frame deep. Spacing was pretty much even but there was a lot of inter-frame burr comb. From your responses it's sounding like a case of spacing. I suppose I should have inspected earlier to have prevented this.

> Spacing was pretty much even

It should not be. It should be tight in the center.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#framespacing
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Michael, I greatly appreciate your input on this matter as well as all of the others. Last night I noticed that all of the center foundations, close placed, have all been connected together with honey filled cells. To pull these frames at some time in the future I guess I'll just use a long knife, very carefully. No rush, as long as they are growing normally.

Those in between combs will cause nothing but trouble. I would dispose of them sooner rather than later and crowd the frames back together to get them on the frames. If those combs that are between are sturdy enough and not full of honey, you can try to rubber band those into empty frames...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF